Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IRLP DXCC?!?!  (Read 985 times)
OKC

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:24:46 PM »

I am a "almost Ham" and should have my General ticket by October. I'm only 42, but I am pretty old school with regard to my interests in the radio hobby. I am assembling a 90% Heathkit HF rig with a HW-101 as the center piece.

2 meter interests me also, and I have been reading about different modes of operation there. Oddly, IRLP is of particular interest to me.

I want to achieve the 5B DXCC & WAS on HF the old fashioned way, but this new IRLP thing is fascinating too! It seems ridiculous-but-fun that one could attain WAS or someday DXCC on a Handy!!

What do you think of this mode and do you consider IRLP a legitimate DX mode?

PS - The electronic QSL cards at www.eQSL.cc seem like a natural match for the IRLP DXer!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:35:20 PM »

Oh boy, OKC, you're gonna wish you retracted that question.

IRLP DX is not ham radio the same way HF DX is.  You can't get IRLP DXCC but you could certainly try to work a  bunch of countries on IRLP.  While it may be pleasant to be able to talk on a repeater in Johannesburg South Africa while you make your commute with nothing more than your 2m rig, it's not really DX anymore than working your local repeater is DX.

If you find it a fun, worthwhile pursuit anyway, then that's OK, but it's not ham radio DX, it's internet DX.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:59:25 PM »

Dudes...

Before y'all work yourself up into a froth, go back and READ the original post.  Nice set-up (with the kit building, and all), but the follow-through was a bit weak.  Too obvious, especially with the "OKC."

This is sooooo a troll.

Peter
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:27:37 PM »

Well, if you find someone offering WAS or DXCC via IRLP, submit whatever confirmations they require.

If you want WAS or DXCC via the ARRL, find out what they require for confirmed QSOs.
Bob
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 01:08:01 AM »

OKC wrote, "...do you consider IRLP a legitimate DX mode?"

NO!

And while I do use eQSL, it is not valid for any awards other than those issued by eQSL.

Scott N0IU
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 04:46:39 AM »

"And while I do use eQSL, it is not valid for any awards other than those issued by eQSL."

Not quite. Although the largest organizations (e.g., ARRL, CQ WPX and WAZ, RSGB IOTA) don't accept eQSLs, there are some (other than eQSL itself) that do. This includes the 3905 Century Club, the Troy Amateur Radio Association, QRP ARCI, and the 070 Club. I'm sure there are others, too.

They may not be the "big ones", but it's an incorrect generalization to say that no other than eQSL  accepts eQSLs.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 05:37:20 AM »

N4LI: OKC isn't trolling... he's asked a lot of questions on this forum and 90% of them aren't this dangerous.

Dan

Dan

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 06:25:11 AM »

OK, I stand corrected.

I haven't participated in 3905 in many years. Who knows, I may even have cards in the bureau!

Scott N0IU
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 06:31:37 AM »

About as exciting as working DXCC on the telephone! But just think, DXCC without knowing anything about antennas, radios, propagation. With FRS radios we could put Amateur radio licenses in cereal boxes. (:-)

73, de Lindy
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 06:55:42 AM »

Absolutely it is a 'DX' mode.  Of course, the distance is from your station to the repeater plus the same at the other end.  On a good day, maybe 90 miles tops.  Woo Hoo!

Dennis KG4RUL
OKC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 07:47:59 AM »

Dear Dan,

I am amazed at the response to my post! 17 replies over night. I put it in 3 forums (Elmers, DXing & VHF/UHF) to get a good cross section of replies. I seem to have touched a nerve.

I really appreciate everyone's responses and I'm sure I'll get more. Some of the responders seem to be overlooking the part of my post where I said I am inclined to the old school and have a vintage rig with which I intend to achieve 5B DXCC. (Not to mention that the first time I paid ARRL dues was almost 30 years ago.)

As far as a body such as the ARRL sanctioning a DXCC for IRLP; I don't see that happening, but I wanted to share my personal enthusiasm for something that to me could be a fun pursuit, particularly for those who are more Internet inclined.

I am confused about two things:
1) What's a Troll? (I've been called that twice today!)
2) Why is my post "dangerous"? (As you wrote)

Thanks for your input.

PS My screen name is OKC because I live in Oklahoma City and I do not yet hold a FCC license.

Graham Welch - OKC
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 09:00:19 AM »

Graham,

Trolling is constructing a post designed to draw irate comments and argument.

It comes from the fishing term originally but has spawned the term troll for someone who trolls...

There are many people who post comments like yours on various forums just because they know it touches a nerve and will cause a huge, nasty argument.  Often they play very innocent, make it seem like they don't know that there's a controversy.  They try not to identify themselves.  

It turns out therefore, that your post is actually impossible to distinguish from a very good troll's post.  You innocently ask about something that's highly controversial and a trigger for unpleasantness all over the internet.  You have a non-callsign username, and you include "I'm going to do this or that cool ham radio thing, but...".

There are a lot of "ban the code" type trolls who make a big deal of the HUGE accomplishments they have in ham radio, all kinds of moonbounce, VHF digital, etc, etc but they're going to wait for code to go away before they get on HF... so the kit building, old radios, etc, sort of smacks of this kind of thing.  

Trolls also ask what trolling is... it's totally impossible to tell from this thread whether you're one or not.  I've got more context from your other posts and I know you're not.

Dan

Dan

W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 10:36:20 AM »

I'd say it comes down to how YOU want to enjoy the hobby.  IRLP isn't something I'll ever do, and as far as I'm concerned there is only one way to do DXCC, and that's the old fashioned way.

If you enjoy it though, more power to ya!!

73,  Doug
OKC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 12:20:41 PM »

Thanks Dan for straightening me out on the Troll thing.

I have to say that it's a bit discouraging to read some of the responses from the forum groups. I have to say that I expected more well considered responses than "Another dumb idea from someone who doesn't even have an amateur license" which was posted by a member of the DXing forum.

I understand the fact that some of the modern technologies could feel threatening to "radio purists", but I have to geuss that AM seemed like a threat to CWers and that sideband seemed like a threat to AMers. It turns out that each advanced the hobby as opposed to detracting from it.

It strikes me that the younger people who are thinking about entering the hobby might be very interested in a mode of communication which integrates radio and the Internet (a medium with which they are already very familiar).

I think that if IRLP (or any other "impure" technology) gets them on the air, that's fantastic! It propagates the hobby and gives people like you and me the opportunity to introduce them to other, perhaps more conventional aspects of radio.

Do I think IRLP is cool? Yes!

Will I get my DXCC on HF? Yes!

I will be on the air probably by the end of October or early November. I am looking forward to talking to you and I think it would be a blast to talk to you on HF and over IRLP.

Graham Welch - OKC
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 12:42:36 PM »

The question was about DXCC. The ARRL is not going to give you a DXCC award for contacts made via the Internet and 2M repeaters (IRLP).
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: