Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 way binding post  (Read 562 times)
KE5ICB

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »

Hi,
I'm getting my hf radio and power supply. I been looking at the power supplies and I plan on getting the jetstream 25 amp supply. It uses a 5 way binding post and i'm not sure what type of connector from the dc cable supplied with my rig should I use to connect to the power supply.

thanks
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 03:11:08 PM »

I'm only familiar with multi binding posts on speakers.  But, I assume yours will accept at least bare wire, banana plugs, solder/crimp on "C" connectors.

If you are going to leave the DC cord on the power supply, no reason why you can't simply tin the end on your DC cord and use it that way.
Bob
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 12:28:40 PM »

5 way binding posts will accept banna plugs but they also have a hole for bare wire. Your power cable will have no ends on it. You can strip the insulation from the ends of the cable and hook up directly to the binding posts. The ends may already be stripped and tinned. Sometimes the tinning makes it difficult to put in the hole in the binding posts, If this happens cut the end off and restrip. The outer insulater unscrews to uncover a hole in the conducting center part near the base of the post.
   Bannana jacks are convenien but most of them are anly ratted at 5 amps and do not have a hole large enough for the wire in the power cable. Don WD8PTB
KE5ICB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »

thanks for all the advice.
If you all wouldn;t mind can anyone answer a second question I have. I'm living in an apartment on the second and third floor. I'm thinking about getting an mp-1 antenna. I have a balcony on the second floor but if really very small(5feet wide 2 feet long) how do I position the counterpoise wires?
thanks for all the help
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »

As long as the counterpoise wires are the correct lenth they can be zigzag, straight, or any other way . Straight is best and down at some angle or even straight down. I have a MP-1 and it is a good product but... If you can put a dipole up it will probable work better and will be cheaper. The dipole does not have to be straight either and it can be made from small almost invisible wire. I forgot what radio You have. A radio with an auto tuner or an external tuner would be convenient either way and probably a necessity. don WD8PTB
KE5ICB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »

Well I ordered the ic-718 I have a external manual tuner with it the mfj-934.So if I clamp the antenna to my metal railing can I let all four counterpoise wires hang down or do they have to be in different directions
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 04:41:40 PM »

Spade lugs with heatshrink insulation (red and black as appropriate) on the leads of your power cord(s,) properly crimped and neatly soldered, are probably the best solution.  Banana plugs MAY be aboe to handle the current, but are easy to dislodge.  And merely attaching the wires under the binding post screw top will inevitably work loose and lead to a short an the most inopportune time.  (Murphy's Law!)
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 09:23:28 AM »

You can let them all hang down but if you can spread them out a little. I had a 718. It is a good radio and fairly tolerent of SWR. You will probably get close to 80 watts out at a 2:1 swr. Have fun. I became a Ham in 1964. I am now retired and still enjoy the hobby. Don WD8PTB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: