Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-910H Crossband  (Read 3263 times)
KA3NXN

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »

I have read in Icom's brochure & in HRO's catalog that this radio will do crossband. For some reason, no one at HRO knows how this works and better yet the Icom manual for this rig dosen't address this feature. Dose anyone know how I can turn this feature on? I have also looked in the "Nifty Accessories" quick users guide. Again, no mention on how to use this feature. I have searched the net, again no dice. Does this rig even have this function?  I am starting to wonder.
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 07:46:08 PM »

I own a 910.  I like it a lot.

But, my understanding has been that while the radio will do full duplex, it isn't designed for crossband.

If there is a way, that might be interesting.  But, I have 4 other radios that X-band, so, it's just as well.

GL with it.

Peter, N4LI
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 08:05:07 PM »

I have a 910 too and I believe the crossband feature is enabled via hardware mod to the front panel board.  You might check mods.dk.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 09:01:04 PM »

If you don't get a reply here, the manufacturer will be able to give you a specific answer.

http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »

crossband split yes, crossband repeat why would you want to?
Glen
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 12:41:40 PM »

I keep hearing about cross band repeat.  I think I have 3 or 4 rigs that will do that,but WHY??

the only time I saw it used  that made sense was in texas when they were looking for the parts from the Columbia, and they were spread out all over texas. the folks used HTs  in the search and they would put a mobile on a low hill, ( only kind they have in texas.)and they would transmit to the mobile, and that would transmit to the repeater or main search trailer.

Other than something like this I don't know of any real use.

but it is a big selling point..Smiley
KX7KXT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »

If crossband is a feature you want then I suggest you look at a radio that really does crossband, Yaseu FT-8800, ICOM IC-2720H, Kenwood TM-V708A or Alinco 635T. I have the FT-8800 and love it. I use crossband at my home and in the yard. I can carry a small HT and use the crossband on the FT-8800 with its higher power and beam antenna to hit any repeater of my choice. Since my shack is in the basement and I like to spend time in the living room upstairs in my comfortable recliner I can use the FT-8800 and my HT to participate in my favorite 2M nets without going to the basement. You will pay more for a dual band radio like any of the ones I sited above but you'll not be sorry they are worth the extra.

Good luck

Val
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:19:36 PM »

Val,

Are you familiar wit an IC-910? The cost of the 910 alone is probably as much at the 3 rigs that you mentioned put together. That's  why it is a sad deal that this rig does not come with this feature and a rig that costs 1/3 the price does.  I did find a mod from icom. I had to have a dealer call Icom tech support and they were kind enough to email it to us. I just don't believe that a rig that is supposed to be so sophisticated does not do this simple function right out of the box. Especially when it was designed to be a satellite rig to begin with.
K5HER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »

I too want to be able to transmit from my HT to my mobile and use it as as a repeater.

I understand that the HT has to be a Dual Band/Cross Band, but the two that had this feature have been discontinued.

Could you please enlighten me?

Additionally, when you listed mobile rigs, you didn't include the Kenwood TM-D700A.  A chart I am looking at in the AES spring/summer '06 catalog indicates that this rig has Cross-Band Rpt. It is also PC Programmable which I like.  I expect there was a reason you did not list it.

I recently got my Technician's license and am working on General.

I am trying to get what is going to work the first time around and have not purchased anything yet.

I would appreciate any help.
Patricia
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »

http://www.qsl.net/icom/download/ic910h_mods.pdf
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:36:29 PM »

WHY crossband repeat?   For many more reasons than I care to mention here, But a few are, So your little micro size hand held dual band (I presently use the little Yaesu VX3, And the Baofeng clone) Can reach distant repeaters OR distant simplex stations.  
You are no longer "stuck" at a base station or mobil radio. You can walk all around with a shirt pocket size radio and talk "through" your cross band radio!  Neatest thing since sliced bread!
OR you can greatly extend the range of your mobil radio the same way.  Crossband your mobil through your taller base station antenna to distant repeaters or simplex stations.

With a radio like the "do it all" Kenwood TS 2000, This feature also includes HF (And 6 meters) No more sitting in front of the base radio waiting for six meters to open up! Cross band it to your UHF simplex link frequency and monitor the calling channel on 6 meters as you walk the dog with your little HT!    OR monitor the local 75 meter rag chew net the same way!   The uses are endless.

I HAD an Icom 910H. One of the reasons I got rid of it was it's inability to crossband repeat.  I swapped it off for a Kenwood TS 2000 and am very happy with the new rig!
(Before I got rid of it, I did some side by side comparison tests between the TS2000 and the IC910H.
The performance of the TS2000 was so close to the 910, PLUS had 6 meters and full HF coverage, AND costs less!)

Ditch the 910 and get a TS 2000!

I agree with the previous posts that the Yaesu FT8800 is also a very good cross band radio. If you dont need 6 meters or HF, The 8800 is a good choice for FM only operation.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:38:51 PM by K9KJM » Logged
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »

The FT8900 will get you 6m and 10m FM in crossband repeat.  There is a way to get the Icom 910 to crossband repeat.  The mod is on www.mods.dk

John AF5CC
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »

The Yaesu FT 8900 will provide 6 and 10 meters in addtion to 2 meters and 440, BUT IS only worth the effort IF there is lots of either 6 or 10 meter FM activity in your area!

The FT8900 has a very miserable memory channel arrangement as compared to the FT8800.
Putting all memory channels into one big "Bubble memory" for both sides of the radio.

(Yaesu claims the 8800 and 8900 use the same type of memory arrangement. They DO NOT!)

ONLY spend the extra to get an 8900 IF there is lots of local 6 and/or 10 meter FM in your area!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: