About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 644 times)
JSC

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2002, 08:56:23 PM »

I am taking the exam next Saturday. I would like some opinions on radios for a newbie, I like the Icom 2800H, and also would like some opinions on a radio for my ATV for riding up in the mountains. Do they make water/dust proof units? Would like a fairly cheap one, I have heard the Yaesu 1500M is built like a tank, TRUE? Thanks alot.

Jeff Carter
Nampa Idaho
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 06:38:56 PM »

The FT-1500M is not a good choice for this envirnment.  To keep dust and water out of it would require putting it in a box.  Unfortunately, this radio requires a free air flow around it to survive.  Your best bet would be an HT that is built to milSpecs.  I know it is only 5 watts but you can make up for that with a good antenna system.

Dennis - KG4RUL

P.S. Remember that some repeaters are equipped to handle LiTZ tones or Wilderness Protocol for backwoods emergencies.  

LiTZ is a simple method to indicate to others on an amateur VHF/UHF FM radio channel that you have an immediate need to communicate with someone, anyone, regarding a priority situation or condition.

LiTZ stands for LONG TONE ZERO. The LiTZ signal consists of transmitting DTMF (Touch-Tone) ZERO for at least 3 seconds. After sending the LiTZ signal the operator announces by voice the kind of assistance that is needed. Please note, however, that if a CTCSS (PL) tone is needed to access that repeater you should transmit that CTCSS tone along with your LiTZ signal.

For example:

(5-seconds-DTMF-zero)
"This is KA7BCD. I'm on Interstate 5 between mile posts 154 and 155. There's a 3 car auto accident in the southbound lane. Traffic has been completely blocked. It looks like paramedics will be needed for victims. Please respond if you can contact authorities for help. This is KA7BCD."

The Wilderness Protocol is a suggestion that those outside of repeater range should monitor standard simplex channels at specific times in case others have priority calls. The primary frequency is 146.52 MHz with 52.525, 223.5 446.0 and 1294.5 MHz serving as secondary frequencies. This system was conceived to facilitate communications between hams that were hiking or backpacking in uninhabited areas, outside repeater range. However, the Wilderness Protocol should not be viewed as something just for hikers. It can (and should) be used by everyone anywhere repeater coverage is unavailable. The protocol only becomes effective when many people use it.

The Wilderness Protocol recommends that those stations able to do so should monitor the primary (and secondary, if possible) frequency every three hours starting at 7 AM, local time, for 5 minutes (7:00-7:05 AM, 10:00-10:05 AM, ..., 10:00-10:05 PM). Additionally, those stations that have sufficient power resources should monitor for 5 minutes starting at the top of every hour, or even continuously.

Priority transmissions should begin with the LiTZ signal. CQ-like calls (to see who is out there) should not take place until four minutes after the hour.

JSC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2002, 09:12:55 PM »

Thank you for the reply, I may consider an HT to carry in my backpack or rack bags. Keep them coming! I have so many questions and it is hard to know where to start. I have read over the questions for the exam and see no problem in the quest of passing it ( I Hope). Got any tips for a complete newbie? I am a firm beleiver in "BUY CHEAP..BUY TWICE" as I would rather save the pennies for a little longer to get a better product, plus I have a very supporting wife! Thanks again.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: