Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. May Reduce Non-Military GPS Accuracy  (Read 706 times)
VELDA

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2003, 08:05:29 AM »

Picked this up on /. today. It seems that due to the impending war the U.S. has made plans for increasing the inaccuracies on the civilian C/A code, which would degrading public GPS accuracy to 100 meters. All in hopes to cripple Iraqi forces.

you can find the original article here: http://www.spacedaily.com/2003/030318154133.7p1uva5u.html
N5CTI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 03:29:35 PM »

This article is based on speculation by a German auto club from before the start of the war. It doesn't seem likely to me that the Iraqis have much (if any) GPS-based equipment which could be used to attack or defend from coalition troops.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm more concerned about the possibility that Iraq could use GPS jammers they purchased from Russia. But that's not going to affect the accuracy of my GPSr here in the US.

Boyd
N5CTI
AA5RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 09:34:33 AM »

I don't think this will happen. The DoD is now capable of applying selective availability geographically.

Greg AA5RS
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 08:28:41 AM »

Ironically enough, A jammer, which has to radiate a signal to operate, is susceptible to missile attack.  Turn it on, Die!

Dennis - KG4RUL
KA8VIT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 02:57:39 PM »

I know the war is over now, but I just saw this post.
During the first Gulf War, the U.S. actually turned SA off to INCREASE accuracy because of a shortage of military GPS units.

Many military units were running to radio shack and other places to buy civilian units to take with them.

Bill  KA8VIT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: