Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mobile antenna mount  (Read 254 times)
KC2JYD

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2004, 10:31:35 AM »

I have a 2004 Jeep wrangler unlimited and I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-7800 dual band radio. I have been unable to locate info on where to mount the antenna on the jeep since I have only a soft top. I assume it would have to be somewhere in the rear. Is there anyone who has had experience with antenna mounts on jeeps? Thanks for your help.

Joe Giorgione
kc2jyd
Spencerport, NY
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 11:40:02 AM »

If yours is equipped with metal front fenders, that's a good place to drill a hole for a dual bander. Larsen makes one of the better ones, but there are a lot to choose from.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 12:36:30 PM »

It depends on how you're going to be using your Jeep.  If you are going to do any off-roading at all, the front fender isn't a good choice.  It is likely to get mangled or ripped off by trees or rocks.  A good solid rear bumper mount is the best for this situation.

If you're mostly on the highway with the occaisonal foray onto a dirt road to your local fishin' hole, the front fender is a better location.

In either situation, make sure that you use a STRONG mount, as the suspension combined with the short wheelbase of the Jeep make for a bumpy ride... and an antenna that whips all over the place.  Although, I'm sure the ride on your '04 is a little smoother than my '79!

KB9YNB
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 08:38:25 PM »

If your jeep has a rear (gate) mounted spare tire, the mount bracket for the tire would provide a good spot to put the antenna bracket.  A solid 3/8 24 stud mount antenna on the appropriate bracket would probably be best in your situation.
N3NDW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 11:46:12 PM »

All of the suggestions are good ones.. Another may be a good glass mount on the front windshield.
Now lets stand by for a second while all the experts jump in and tell you how the only good antenna is one in the middle of the roof and why don't you sell the Jeep and get a real car.
Now that we've heard from them, the real deal is that on glass antennas do work very well, and your situation may be perfect for one. I have been using one for a few months now with pretty good results.
If you are going to be 40 miles from the local repeater you may have some problems, but if you are driving around town, the results will be very good.
A second choice might be an "L" bracket on the edge of the hood. I use one that goes between the hood and fender of my Astro van. I am planning to use that mount for a 10 meter antenna.
Try a couple of different installations and see what works best for you.
Good luck.
KC2JYD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 11:39:08 PM »

If the antenna mount is on the rear bumper, won't that affect the ground plane? I don't intend to do any off road driving with it.
KC2JYD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 12:19:53 AM »

Thanks K1CJS. You wrote: "If your jeep has a rear (gate) mounted spare tire, the mount bracket for the tire would provide a good spot to put the antenna bracket. A solid 3/8 24 stud mount antenna on the appropriate bracket would probably be best in your situation".

Q.How would you mount that type 3/8 24 stud? I found one on a site at: http://www.premiere-electronics.net/antennamounts.shtml and the product # is SS-124 or the SS-124A. There is another type of mount on that page further down which is a Firestick SS-64. I do have a rear (gate) mounted spare tire.

Thanks
Joe Giorgione
KC2JYD
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 09:22:27 PM »

Forgive the late late late.....late (!) reply, I lost track of some of my postings.

A mirror mount bracket for an 18 wheeler would probably be your best bet.  These are available at some of the truck stops and at other CB type stores, as you would suspect they are very widely used by truckers for their CB radio antenna mounts.  Try the Radio Shack in your neighborhood--if they don't have one, they may be able to steer you in the right direction.  The other possibility is the web, you may be more likely to find one there faster.
UA2FAV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 03:19:15 AM »

Hallo !
I have Jeep Cherokee too!
I live in Russia áöôòå to  ask you about  the best brackets  for antenna YAESU ATAS-120 FOR THIS MODEL AVTO ?
I HAVE FARCOP
 I HAVE YAESU FT-857D !!!
Thanks !

Àll the  best from Ivaskov Grigory
Radio amateur call is UA2FAV
E-mail:   grigory60@tis-dialog.ru
              grigory60@mail.ru
              ua2fav@yahoo.com
Russia , Kaliningrad
Home phone +7(4012) 329168
Mob phone  +79114617700        
     73!