The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nuclear War  (Read 4375 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 06:28:50 PM »

Gentleman,

Effects of radiation from nuclear explosions on radio communication has been studied in great depth since 1943. About every four years the Atomic Energy Commission publishes these results and they can be found in “The Effects of Nuclear Weapons”.  This book also covers the biological, physical, thermal and exposure effects of a nuclear blast as is available from the Atomic Energy Commission or The Library of Congress. It makes for fascinating reading.

Remember the Genie is your friend.
AI5RB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 02:14:51 AM »

For you Doomsayers:
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51648
W7FRS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 08:08:33 PM »

And the winner IS .... AE6RO - "But I digress. Why a lead box? Use a double box of aluminum and ground the outer box." It's called a Faraday Shield or Faraday Cage and is an effective shield against EMP.  

N0XMZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 02:40:50 PM »

This is a fun thread to read. On a local level, we hams may be the only ones able to communicate in the aftermath of such a tragedy.

What amazes me is that with all these suicide terrorists out there who would love to drive a truck into a major US city with a nuke on board, one would think we'd have our borders sealed up tight. But no, we wouldn't want to hurt Mexico's feelings.

Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. I think we are living in a more dangerous time than the cold war. With us vs. the Russians, we had mutual-assured destruction. Neither we not the Russian people had a death wish. Today, nuclear technology is much more wide-spread and these lunatics from the Middle East actually WANT to die in the process of killing us. That loose nut in Iran knows that if he were to nuke Israel, they'd turn Tehran into a sheet of glass. But do you think he cares? He thinks he on a mission from "Allah" after all.
W5ONV

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 03:10:45 AM »

I think that we should Nuke all of thoes idiots over there and put an end to it all. Do a Heroshemia on them but 10 times as big. Then we and the rest of the world can sleep.
W7FRS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 02:09:27 PM »

We all moved along from this subject long ago.  Not having anything better to do, I took the time to study this and related subjects.  Civil defense was, for the most part, abandoned long ago.  If you live in an area that actually includes civil defense in it's disaster preparedness, count your self lucky.  Most of us are on our own when it comes to protecting ourselves and our equipment.  The odds are in our favor that we wouldn't have to face anything like this subject.  We just can't rule it out.

Not wanting to bore anyone with endless text, I thought I'd leave some links to this facinating info.

Note: some references refer to the EMP e field pulse to be in the range of 50 to 125 kv/cm.  Others give the units as kv/m.  I'd like to know if the kv/cm is wrong.  If anyone knows the answer to this, feel free to say so.

Your pacemaker will be just fine if you stay in an e field less than 200 v/m.  That means I should stuff my wife in the box with the radio. hi hi

QST "Electromagnetic Pulse And The Radio Amateur"
Sept 86 pp 15-20,36
Oct 86 pp 22-26
Nov 86 pp 38-41
Nov 86 pp 30-34
QST article condensed from "NCC TIB 85-10 - Electromagnetic Pulse/Transient Threat Testing For The Amatuer/Military Affilliate Radio System Equipment"

EMP and Faraday Cages
http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/emp_and_faraday_cages.htm

Civil Defense Perspectives
Physicians for Civil Defense
http://www.oism.org/cdp/

Nuclear War Survival Skills
by Cresson Kearny
http://www.ki4u.com/free_book/s60p773.htm
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: