Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ID on Cross Band Repeat  (Read 401 times)
KD8WU

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2002, 08:41:19 PM »

If I had my 2m/440 rig set up for cross band repeat (440 simplex to 2m repeater), how would I ID on 440 if I'm not participating in the conversation?

Thanks,
Bob--KD8WU
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 10:33:13 PM »

Well, you have stumbled on the question
that really doesn't have a good answer.
The best way would be to put a CW ID board
in the transceiver.  The problem would be, gettin'
it to ID the 70 cm transmitter.

This is why most of these rigs are illegal
to use in this fashion.

73 de Ronnie

W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 11:18:59 PM »

I presume what you're describing is that you're allowing other hams to use your station as a link , while you are monitoring from the control point .As long as the link is properly identified and doesn't cause interference , you're perfectly legal .You could use an automatic IDer , but the way I read the rules , you'd also be perfectly legal if the link users ID the link along with their own station ."W5RB via the KD8WU link " , or something like that .Or , you could do it yourself from the local mic , every 10 minutes , just say , "KD8WU link " .If you want an authoritative opinion , and you're an ARRL member , drop an e-mail to ARRL's regulatory branch .They're a wealth of info on stuff like this .Maybe someone with more direct info on this will post , but that's my take on it .

Russ , W5RB
KA9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 11:27:29 PM »

It is very challenging to meet the ID requirement using crossband as you have outlined.  The crossband feature is typically utilized to boost a dual band HT.  Say you want to work a 2M repeater from your dual band HT, but you can't hit the machine.  You would set up your dual band mobile to hear you on a 440 simplex frequency and cross band transmit your audio on the 2M repeater input frequency.  On your dual band HT you would be listening on 2M to the repeater output but transmitting on your 440 simplex to your crossband rig.

To ID you could simply state your call and then that you are via the YOURCALL crossband repeater.  

I realize my example does not go along with your question.  I'm trying to point that your application for cross band is not legal without something to ID.  However, there are legal applications for cross band as the feature exists in most radios.

As just another thought here, if you can transmit on the input frequency of your cross band repeater you can voice id every 10 minutes through your cross band set up.  

And another thought (sorry it's late and my brain is working slowly).  If you want to set up a more permanent cross band repeater and use two single band radios to do it, you can try the Echostation PC based repeater controller.  Info is at http://www.synergenics.com/sc/

Regards,
Dan - KA9ZIM
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 05:10:52 AM »

Bob,
I fail to see why you would only want to ID on 440.
If your link is legal and the users are legal then
the ID is necessary . To have your link accessing a
repeater makes your ID even more important so others
, including the repeater control operator , can know
the source of input signals. Otherwise, this appears
to be an attempt to cause malicious interference
without detection.
73 - Tim
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2002, 04:04:53 PM »

Just my opinion but i fail to see a reason why you would have to identify in any special matter.  I have used a dual band HT through a dual band mobile, and i have also used a dual band HT through a dual band base, the way i had it setup was to transmit to the mobile or base on 70cm and the mobile or base would repeater it to 2m and therefore whatever repeater the 2m side was set to, then when i would go to receive i would be receiving on the HT on 70cm from the mobile or base re-transmitting the 2m signal received.  Now as long as i identify myself when talking on the 2m repeater via my dual band setup i am also identifying myself on 70cm, after all if i say my call sign it goes over the HT on 70cm and also out on 2m through the mobile or base.  

Why bother saying via the link or something like that if it's your own personal setup and nobody gives a hoot as long as your solid into the repeater anyway??

Scott, KBØNLY

WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2002, 04:13:25 PM »

Well, Scott, the 70 CM transmitter
that you're usin'to cross band repeat
through has not transmitted
an ID.  No where in Part 97 are dual
band rigs in crossband use exempted from the
ID requirements.

73 de Ronnie
KD3V

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2002, 06:24:23 PM »

simple answer: People on BOTH SIDES of the conversation have to identify that they are using a crossband repeater link.

The person on 2m must identify himself and the repeater which goes out over 440, and the party on the 440 input IDs himself and the repeater which goes out over the 2m side.

Ideally an internal IDer which transmitted over both bands would work best but if not, then BOTH SIDES must handle the duties of making the ID because there are two bands being transmitted on by the crossband repeater.

KD5OMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2003, 07:38:14 PM »

This is a facinating thread, to which there seems to be no easy answer to.   Either you need an "auto id'er" (which I'm wondering the availability of) or you would need to set up your reapeater in a fasion that does not crossband back to 70cm.  The later of course requiring you to be able to receive the 2m signal via the HT.  On my Kenwood D-700 there is an option of inputting a callsign for sky command which I have never used.   Does this feature send out my call sign in cw? and is it possible to implement for crossband repeating?   Crossbanding seems like too good a resourse for hams to be abandoned due to lack of iding solutions.

73's
Tim
KB3KYO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 04:59:52 AM »

I can't see why this doesn't fulfull the FCC requirements.

If you have a dual-band HT and you transmit your call on 70cm, and it's retransmitted out of the cross-band repeat rig on 2M, your ID *is* being sent out on both bands... so why is this not ok?

I do see the problem with an unattended station.

73, KB3KYO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: