Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conformal Coating Recommendations?  (Read 267 times)
KB4QAA

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2006, 02:35:51 PM »

Any suggestions of type and brand of conformal coatings and remover that can be used on circuit boards of a weather station?   I need to be able to carry it with me and use it without elaborate equipment or exotic solvents.

My dad has a wireless weather station that has died after only 2 years service.  My initial long distance guesstimate is corrosion of the cb.  

Thanks,

Bill.
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 03:05:58 PM »

I ain't much help here.

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/etronics/etronicscoat/default.asp

I use D/C stuff for industrial applications where mosture (water based coolants) in machinery can
be an issue - cases where this was overlooked by the OEM. Reverse engineering if you will. My recomendations are limited to perminate applications but the link may provide you with additional information. Sorry for the short reply.

Craig
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 06:33:25 PM »

Conformal coatings might help, but intelligent design helps more.

Sounds like you're referring to condensation (moisture) killing stuff, and if that's the case, it's easy to design around using low-impedance circuits that are not affected by moisture.  The original Western Electric telephone appliances ("Ma Bell" stuff) could operate perfectly under water.  Literally.  Everything was 500 Ohms Z in and out, and the telephones employed no high-Z circuits at all.  Water couldn't short them out because water isn't nearly conductive enough to do that.

WB2WIK/6
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 08:16:18 PM »

You can get good spray conformal coatings from MOUSER or DIGI-KEY.  To remove use a chemical called MEK  or in some cases even CUTEX will work.  Do not remove unless it is necessary..it can be messy

George, W6GF
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:24:14 AM »

Would'nt the MEK destroy the components?
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:05:35 PM »

I'd recommend a conformal coating called Humiseal and its associated stripper.  There are a number of different Humiseal coatings; air dry, UV curable, etc. and are mold, mildew, and fungus resistant.  My employer uses this on all our PC assemblies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: