Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning LCD screens  (Read 582 times)

« on: December 11, 2006, 09:12:24 AM »

What is the best thing to use when cleaning LCD screens. I'm refering to the type on Icom rigs. I'm not sure what may damage the screens. Tnx for any help.  Bill
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:52:03 AM »

Use the cloth that comes with your spectacles. I can't remember the commercial name for them but they are just the right texture and don't scratch. Try it dry first and if that doesn't work then use a tiny amount of water.

WARNING
If you use a small amount of water to wipe down the screen make sure that none of it gets between the glass and the metal outer edge. If this happens you will probably ruin the screen. Been there, done that.

HA5RXZ
W6VPS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 12:04:32 PM »

Google is your friend on this one...
enter - cleaning LCD screens - you'll get a bunch of answers.

Also remember...moisten your cleaning cloth. It is safer than squirting the screen as noted by the previous post.
Good luck Paul/W6VPS
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 12:13:11 PM »

A jewlers cloth works nicely when damp. Be extremely careful about using any cleaners on the display. In fact I use just plain water on a damp "non abrasive" cleaning cloth. It can do wonders to clean everyday fingerprints, streaks, smearing etc. from plastic displays.

Some eye ware cleaners on the other hand contain isopropynol alchohol or other similar chemical components which can permanently damage some plastic displays. Remember, these displays are not glass like eye glasses. Some eye ware cleaners is intended for "coated" lenses which might be worth looking at. However, absolutely stay away from using cleaners like "Fantastik" to clean radio displays. (Don't ask me how I know this!)

73 and Best Wishes for the Holiday Season.

Charles - KC8VWM

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 01:27:18 PM »

Tnx all for the reply's. It seems that a product called Clear Screen is the only thing that is recommended to use. The problem is that it is hard to find. They say anything that contains alcohol should not be used. Tnx again.  Bill
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 01:39:13 PM »

Your local mall eye glass shop sell's single use cleaning cloth's i personally like the Leica brand and i can atest to the fact Leica makes good stuff. ask any serious long range shooter about ther optics

oh and it does not have alcohol in it
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 02:19:29 PM »

a slightly dampened clean cloth ( I like old t shirt material) works well, and BTW , to remove scratches from the screen use some toothpaste on a damp rag or your fingertip and rub gently. will clean most types of plastic scratches, like icom screens, and regular "front panel" clear plastic. try it in a corner to be sure it  is ok on your screen.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »

I Am glad to see this post. I assumed my Kenwood display screen was glass. Never gave it a thought, that is was not glass. So far I never cleaned it. Thanks for the warning and info.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »

hi,

my th78a has a plastic lens but the
service manual it is listed as glass.

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: