Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter antenna for Marine use  (Read 1470 times)
NURRENBERN

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:31:15 AM »

My question is I am wanting to put my Icom 2200H in my boat.  I have opened the tx up on the radio so that I can transmit on the marine band.  If I just install a 2meter antenna will it hurt the radio to transmit in the 156mhz marine band. Or should I just install both a marine radio and my 2200H with seperate antennas?

KC9KHV
W5FAE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 04:20:51 AM »

I have a boat and have had the pleasure of using an Austin 1/2 wave 2M antenna enclosed in a fiberglass radome which is completely sealed. This antenna has given me faithful service for over 20 years. I have used it in Cape Cod Bay in salt water and for years on fresh water lakes. It now resides on my roof in New Mexico at 6000ft ASL and is still working well.

http://www.austinantenna.net

73, Fred  W5FAE
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:12:10 AM »

<<  I have opened the tx up on the radio so that I can transmit on the marine band.>>

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but using a modified ham radio on the marine band is illegal. Using a modified ham radio on ANY service other then the amateur service and MARS (with a MARS license) is illegal. An inspection of your vessel by the Coast Guard or Coast Guard Auxillary will likely net you a large fine and possible confiscation of your illegal radio.

You need a separate, type-accepted for marine use, radio and antenna.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:37:36 AM »

"An inspection of your vessel by the Coast Guard or Coast Guard Auxillary will likely net you a large fine and possible confiscation of your illegal radio. "

And announcing it on a huge public website doesn't help much, either.
NURRENBERN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 06:04:45 AM »

You guys are probably right im sure the Coast Guard spends day in and day out searching for people with a modified radio.  Not that there isnt anything more important to do.  Never seen a coast guard vessel on the river.  I knew I would get some geek out there that would run there mouth about this being illegal I understand that but that isnt the question I asked.  I will probably spend the rest of my life in prison for this!!!!!
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 07:13:41 AM »

"If I just install a 2meter antenna will it hurt the radio to transmit in the 156mhz marine band."

--------------------

Not only does it hurt your radio equipment, it hurts the rest of us with good intentions by putting all of us in a bad light.

A brand new "FCC Approved" marine radio can be had for as little as 99 bucks. Is that too cheap or something?

Those that are telling you that engaging in this activity is illegal are more than justified in doing so. You may not like that particular advice or answer provided but I suppose that's your own tough luck. That's just the way it is and that's the way that it should be.

So basically you are going to have to just take your medicine. It won't hurt you to follow the rules. It may hurt the rest of us if you don't. Should the rest of us just sit back and be happy about your idea or something?

I think not.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »

Sorry Nurrenburg, I guess you take a few lumps on this.  Part of being a ham has always been observing the letter and spirit of the law.

From a technical perspective, if you want to set up this radio for emergency back up use...  

Shakespeare makes a broadband VHF antenna covering CAP/Mars/ham/Marine bands:
http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/antennas/galaxy/hs-2774-1.htm

Will operating wideband damage your radio?  Who knows.  Nothing is guaranteed by the manufacturer once you go outside the design specs.  It's impossible to know what components may be stressed and overheat.

The other factor to consider is what transmissin performance losses you may suffer, and more importantly what interference you may cause to other recieving stations.  Operating so far out of band may cause the oscillator or PA to become unstable in frequency with harmonics and splatter, distortion or excessive deviation.  You need to ensure that your power output doesn't exceed that for the service, and good engineering practice dictates that you should put the radio on the bench and check output specs with a service monitor.

Buying a certified marine radio will be a better guarantee of having a reliable radio for another reason: corrosion.  Even in the modest environment of inland rivers, corrosion is a silent but inevitable killer of electronics.  Ham radios are not sealed or protected for that environment.  It can take only a couple years of exposure to kill them.  I have numerous boating friends who report dead electronics of all sorts from boating use.  

The USCG may be scarce in your area, but I assure you, they do ticket and fine people for using non-certified radios.  You can buy a lot of gasoline for the cost of a fine.

Don't get hot and bothered with people pointing out the law.   Be safe and happy boating.

73,  bill

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 12:52:44 PM »

<<  I knew I would get some geek out there that would run there mouth about this being illegal >>

Not a geek; I'm an old fart who believes is operating in a legal fashion. If you knew it was illegal in the first place, then why did you post the fact for everyone to see?

I really don't care whether you get caught or not. I DO care about hams operating in an illegal fashion, as guys like you you give the rest of us a bad name when you DO get caught.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 01:37:36 PM »

<<I will probably spend the rest of my life in prison for this!!!!! >>

One can only hope!!!

K4III

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 02:05:02 PM »

You may blow the finals and damage your radio permanently. But, if you are in a life/death situation and have no other means of communication, I guess it can be justified transmitting on a marine frequency with a ham radio... You may be fined and have equipment seized, lose your licenses, but just to make it out alive would in MY view be MORE IMPORTANT! Who gives a darn about the status of your boat or radio afterwards!

My 2 Cents,
Jon
K4III

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 02:06:30 PM »

Forgot to add, If it were my boat, I'd also open it up just incase the other radio dies or goes south and risk whatever happens.

In other words, it's simpler to use 2 antennas.

Jon
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 02:48:49 PM »

I use an inexpensive Shakespear 2-position antenna swtich to switch my 2 meter rig and my marine radio ($119.00 fully loaded) to the same broad band antenna.  Works fine.  Maybe you could go that route too.

The FCC has always expected (and received) a certain amount of "self-policing" from the amateur fraternity.  If you post your illegal intentions on a site like this no Coast Guard Auxillary member is likely to toss a line around one of your deck cleats and haul you away and none of us are going to call America's Most Wanted and report you.

But have please patience with those here who try to do the right thing.

73 and Happy Boating!

Terry, WØFM
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 02:53:28 PM »

"But, if you are in a life/death situation and have no other means of communication, I guess it can be justified transmitting on a marine frequency with a ham radio"

No, you're an f****** moron for not installing a real VHF marine radio.

There's a reason why you're not allowed to use modded ham rigs on the marine VHF bands.  They don't meet the same reliability standards.  It's illegal to use them so that people have to buy certified, tested radios, not just any old piece of junk that happens to work on those frequencies.

If you want to have the ham rig that you just happen to have on your boat to also have marine frequency transmit enabled, just as a backup, just in case your certified marine VHF radio fails, that's sensible... it's a couple of diodes and it could save your life, but the situation here seems to be installing a ham rig as the only means of communication, and that's exactly what the laws are supposed to stop.

You should never, ever have to use a modified VHF ham rig for marine comms, but maybe you want to use it as a *backup*

That's a little hint to those who want to post in ham radio forums about engaging in illegal activity... you should at least try to hide it, otherwise all we're going to talk about is how you're a lawbreaker.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 05:14:41 AM »

I add only one thing to N3OX reply.  The FCC WILL REVOKE lisenses for violations that happen outside the amateur band.

They routinely revoke Amateur Licenses of people found guilty and imprisoned on Morality Reasons.  And they have revoked Amateur Licenses of people who have commited infractions on other radio bands as well.

That is IF IF IF the original poster even has a license to begin with.  Please note ladies and gentlemen that the original poster did NOT use a call sign and given his attitude I highly doubt that he or she even has a license to begin with.

R Arceneaux
N5LRZ
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 07:14:10 AM »

Make sure you keep the Icom 2200 out of the weather.  Salt spray will wreak havoc on non-sealed radios, mics, and speakers.  Marine radios are pretty sealed up so they don't have a problem with salt spray.  An Icom 2200 might though.  I'd even suggest replacing the stock Icom mic with one from a marine radio.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: