Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd VHF repeater problem...  (Read 789 times)
WA0MNA

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2006, 10:50:06 AM »

Our club has a VXR-7000 Vertex repeater, couple years on the air.  New duplexors, new MaxRad 4-bay antenna, and heliax fed.  Problem is...in the last 2-3 weeks the repeater has been "distorting" the first couple words of a transmission when the repeater comes up.
Then the rest of the audio is clear as a bell.  This seems to happen only when the box has been inactive for a long period of time (like overnight) then seems fine when used during the day.  A site visit didn't reveal anything connection wise, temperature,etc.  Some members think it's the antenna, I do not.  Repeater output is always strong.  I KNOW THIS IS AN "OFF THE WALL" REQUEST...BUT, ANY TIPS AT THIS POINT WOULD HELP.
Tnx 73
KA4P

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 10:59:39 AM »

I'm thinking power supply. Maybe a regulation problem. The transmitter comes up. The supply voltage drops, but only for 2 or 3 seconds and then it's back up to snuff.

I may be all wet but that is where I would look first.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:17:30 AM »

Can you be more specific abou the "distortion" ?

Is it audio distortion, coming from the controller?  or is it the receiver, as if the icoming signal is off frequency?  

Does it happen on everyone's signal, or, just to some people?  

How long do you have to wait until the problem comes back?
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 11:32:37 AM »

How about an antenna changeover relay with dirty contacts?

HA5RXZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »

Distortion on an FM signal is often the result of being slightly off frequency.

Anybody look at the repeater's transmit frequency when it first comes up?  Based on symptoms, I'd say it drifts for the first second or two, starting out off frequency and then drifting on.

If that's the case, then de-bug that condition.

WB2WIK/6
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 12:50:38 PM »

Also check the receive frequency as well as the transmit frequency. In the winter time the Phase lock loop may be on the ragged edge in the cold. Also check power supply regulation. Cold weather operation is always problematic.
WA0MNA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 03:35:48 PM »

Thanks to all for your quick replies.  Great tips!!!
Appreciate it guys.  Going out to the site tommorrow.
Will keep you posted.  73  Vance
WA0MNA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 03:45:21 PM »

I will try to describe what I call distortion abit better.  At the very start of a transmision from the repeater, the "audio/speech" is weak with lot's of noise (like you are using an HT standing in a hole).
This happens for only a few seconds, then boom, the signal is loud and full quieting.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 06:44:08 PM »

Sounds like a start-up spur on the transmitter, desensing your input.
KV6O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 09:11:31 PM »

Those symptoms are a sure sign of demonic possession. Open up one of the duplexer cans and look inside. If you see a portal to an alternate plane of existence, or any other folding of space-time, time for a new repeater. I hear the new D-Stars are niceā€¦

Steve
KV6O
K4III

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:03:07 AM »

My MSR-2000 ocassionally does this when the power comes back on after after a 20 minute or more period of power-loss when the temps are around freezing or lower. Yes, ICM temperature compensates "burns" them. I believe since my "rocks" (crystal elements) are temperature-compensated and the power is off long enough, when it comes on and they are "cold", the crystals are a hair off frequency. I never really have much of a problem as it only happens a couple of times during cold times of the year (here in N Florida) and the crystals usually tune-up within 5-10 minutes of the power returning at the site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: