Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-910 Power Issue  (Read 378 times)
KA3NXN

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »

Hi Gang,

Both me and a fellow ham own the IC-910 VHF/UHF all mode base rig and we both have the same issue. This radio like many new radios have a circuit that sense that the SWR might be high and back off on the output power to prevent  the finals from being fried. All this being said, I know that this particular radio has had some issues with this "feature" where it will back off on power for no reason. Both me and my friend are seeing this on our radios. I heard that there is a fix or mod to correct this. This problem happens on both bands but is worse on UHF. At times is will cut the power to less than half of the rated full output.

Oh! Don't respond if you are going to tell me that it is a high SWR on my antenna. I have tried both a diamond SWR meter and also checked the reflected power with a bird meter that has been calibrated by a top military contractor's antenna & cal lab and IT IS NOT A HIGH SWR ON MY ANTENNA! The SWR on my antenna is 1.1:1

Thank you

Jaime-KA3NXN
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »

Low SWR does not necessarily mean that the antenna (or feedline) does not have a very serious problem.
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 06:54:33 PM »

I find it hard to believe that both of us with 2 of the same make & model of radio and new feed line on both ends and also have tried different antennas. The problem still persists.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »

How are you measuring the power output?
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:22:06 PM »

As mentioned I have an externally connected bird watt meter. Also the meter on the radio shows reduced power output.
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 04:10:19 AM »

I have a 910H and have a similar problem. On SSB particularly on 432 I can not turn the mic gain up high enough to get the ALC light to fluctuate sometimes. At other times I get full output for a few seconds and then it drops down to 30 to 50 watts. On FM I get full power. I have heard of others having problems with power output when you go low in the band.(432)
   I hate to operate with full mic gain but  I get good audio reports with no complaints of splater and the ALC light does not flicker. Don WD8PTB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: