Kenwood TS 480SAT

(1/1)

Ronald Curt:
I have purchased a TS480SAT, and am interested in the digital mode PSK31.
I have never done this, and I have been out of the hobby for quite awhile now and I need to know if I need to purchase SIGNALINK to make my unit work well.
I have had many answers and one from a tech at signalink that gave a good reason, but reality is he works for or is the company.
I just need a straight answer asto whether this unit needs extraneous help to operate in that mode, or is the capability really built in.
I will greatly appreciate any and all comments on this, and I thank you now for it.
                  73  Ron N6VQQ

Charles Kaross:
I also own the TS-480SAT, and can confirm that you can run PSK31 with no external interface.

You will need to make up (or buy) a cable that connects the audio in/out connections which are present at the mini-DIN connnector of the rig to your sound card. There are only three connections required IN, OUT and a common ground. The computer side terminates in a pair of mono 3.5mm plugs that connect to your sound card.

You will also need to configure the menu item in the rig that allows a data signal at the audio in of the rig to trigger the VOX, and turn on the VOX via the front panel.

All of this is described in detail in postings on the Yahoo TS-480 group. I recommend joining this group for information on PSK31 and other items of interest.

I am running PSK31 Deluxe which is part of the excellent (and free) Ham Radio Deluxe control program that works very well with this rig. There are many other PSK31 packages that should do the trick as well. Some free, some for sale.

Many others have done this, so you should not have a problem.

Good luck & 73,
Charles
K5QED

Ralph D'Andrea:
You'll want to use some device to key the radio from a serial port and that has isolation transformers between the computer sound card and the radio.  You can get by without one using plain audio cables and keying the rig with VOX, but it's better to isolate the radio's ground from the computer's ground.  Less potential for ground loops and noise.

The Signalink is but one of many.  At the low end of the price range, there is the Buxcomm Rascal, which can be built from a kit.  At the high end are products like the Rigblaster.  The Signalink is somewhere in the middle.  Virtually all of them are devices that you configure once then forget about.  After configuration, they're just there.  I'm not aware that one is "better" than the other.

I built my own from scratch, but I think buying the Rascal might have been cheaper than the cost of the parts.  There are many schematics out there if you want to go homebrew.

Navigation

[0] Message Index