Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable packet wisdom needed  (Read 243 times)
N1IWJ

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:10:12 AM »

I recently dusted off an my old Kantronics KPC-3 TNC and attempted to hook up up to a laptop and my Yaesu VX-150 for portable packet operation.  I'm running the Kantronics Pacterm program (DOS).

My problem is that signals are being received by the radio and the receive light on the TNC is lighting, but nothing is coming across the computer screen.

The last time I used this setup with an Alinco HT it worked fine.  I checked the wiring diagrams for the radio-to-TNC cable and it appears that the Alinco and Yaesu HTs use the same pins on the DB9 connector.  The only difference with the Yaesu is that I need to attached a CT-44 adaptor cable to match the two-plug cable connection with the HTs single speaker/mike jack.

When I transmit a beacon with this setup, the HT trasmits and the beacon message shows up on the laptop screen.

The only other factor here is that there seemed to be very few packet signals on the evening I tried this, and what I heard was weak.  I used a roll-up j-pole, which improved things a bit, but shouldn't I be showing something on the screen even for weak signals?

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Jim
N1IWJ
KG4LMU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 07:40:53 AM »

Nobody uses the normal packet frequency. Try the arps network.
KG4LMU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 07:42:21 AM »

APRS Ooppss
KB8UFP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:15:09 PM »

Even though nobody uses the old packet freqs, obviously the original poster is seeing some activity somewhere.  

While I don't own a KPC-3 or any TNC atm, I can help with a few pointers -

If you think you should be receiving packet traffic and nothing is showing up on the screen - are you sure the interface between computer and TNC is OK?  Are you able to send commands and see menus and whatnot in your terminal program? If not I would suggest checking the baud rate your terminal prg/com port is set to, and ensure that the TNC is at that same baud rate.

Make sure your com port is what you think it is (COM1, COM2, etc).  You could possibly be setting your terminal to try to connect to your computers modem.

N1IWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 03:22:44 AM »

Thanks.  Yes, the interface between the computer and TNC is working.  I get a start up message and the cmd: prompt and I can set and view parameters and menus.

Maybe there's not much packet activity around anymore?
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 06:32:34 AM »

You will probably need to check in your local area to see if in fact anyone is on packet, and if so, what frequencies. Packet stations today seldom send out beacons, so you basicly have a guessing game to see who is on.

If you want to try APRS, download UI-VIEW32 and register it (free for a promise to donate to cancer research).

APRS is on 144.390, but don't try to use a standard packet setup to "connect" to someone. But, you can monitor and see the beacons go across the screen.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 12:01:18 PM »

Even though you are receiving signals, the TNC normally does not output to the terminal unless the packet is received without errors. If signals are weak it may be that you just aren't able to copy any packets error free.

Also make sure that the monitor mode is turned on. If it is not on then you will not copy packets between other stations - only those addressed to you. By default only information packets are displayed with monitor mode on and that means there will be many packets that you will not copy. If your TNC is like most, there are commands you can issue to display the various supervisory packets as well.
N1IWJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 03:08:17 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies.  It seems everything is working prooperly with my set-up.  I monitored APRS transmissions and a few packet transmissions on Sat. afternoon.

It looks like there is very little packet activity in my area right now.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: