Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi band antenna recomendations  (Read 295 times)
KI6EYW

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2007, 03:40:02 PM »

Hello to one and all,

I'm trying to find the best and simplest multiple band antenna. 5 band verticle trap?
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 03:41:31 PM »

5BTV is about $159 and a fan dipole even cheaper.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »

Trapped vertical (many need radials).
Trapped dipole.
Fan dipole.
145 foot dipole fed with open wire and a tuner.
End fed wire with SGC tuner outside (needs radials).

What is best depends on what you want to do with it, what kinds of supports you have, and what the immediate area is like (trees, ground clutter, etc).
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »

Doublet fed with ladder (window) line.
WD8LIC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »

I have used a home brew G5RV for many years with great success.  Very easy to make and very inexpensive.  I have one up now ans it is in sort of a horizontal V because that is where the trees are I have to hook it to.  Previous QTH it was inverted V.  I recommend solid wire, 32 ft. of coax and the rest 470 ohm commercial insulated ladder line.  

Bob Daney, WD8LIC, Lambertville, MI
KC6UNM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 08:59:30 PM »

best and simplest would be the horizontal loop.
better than a dipole and is a simple wire antenna.

but.....

how much room do you have?  any restrictions?  external tuner or internal tuner?  can you run ladder line without any trouble or must you run coax?

AD5ZC ex KC6UNM
N9FME

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 05:17:47 AM »

I've had pretty good success with my GAP Titan DX vertical. It doesn't do very good on 75/80 meters but for 10 thru 40 it seems to do a nice job. The nice thing about this one (IMHO) is that you dont use a tuner!!

Mine is mounted about five feet above ground. The antenna is about 26 feet tall. There are no ground radials. It uses four 80" counterpoise rods. New, these go for a little over $325..Tech support at GAP is excellent!!

Good Luck and have fun!!
N9FME
Greg  
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:41:28 AM »

I'll have to go with a 136' ladder line fed doublet and tuner. 160-6 with a good tuner.

73, de Lindy
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:01:33 AM »

Horizontal loop is my #1 choice.  Even a low one (20' or so) will do well on most bands with, in my experience, less tuning effort than any dipole.  At one wavelength it will be a bit of an NVIS - high angle - antenna, but on higher bands (more wavelengths of wire) the angles will come down nicely.  Personally, I hope to go for 2 wavelengths on 160m on my next one.  My last one actually tuned well all the way up to 2m (though it probably benefited from increased system loss up there), and even worked a bit on 80m even though it's fundamental resonance was around 60m.

Second choice (which I have now) is a fan dipole.  It works great even though the ends of the 80m wire each hang straight down more than 20' due to space limitations.  No tuner needed, as I tuned the wires carefully as I added them, starting with the 80m and working my way up.  It now has 20, 40, and 80m elements, is up about 40', and is my most efficient antenna.

I also have an HF9v ground mounted with a dozen 30-60' radials.  It works fine, but is best on 40m (and up) where it is nearly a full quarter wave in height.  It's about $300, and tuning is finicky and time consuming - definitely requires a good antenna analyzer - but it works.

Another option, which I haven't tried, is a wire dipole for the lowest band of interest, but with stub-wires suspended vertically from it at points that help it resonate on other bands.  I haven't tried it, though, and will look for other people's write-ups on it ... www.cebik.com?  I haven't seen much modeling info on this type yet, but am interested ...

Good rx & 73 - Tim, KT8K
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 02:10:04 PM »

Gap Challenger....Worked stateside & dx all over on all the bands for many years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: