Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeater Coordinates  (Read 1575 times)
CLEBOT

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »

I have topographic mapping software that I wanted to update to include the local repeaters in my area.
Is there a source for finding the latitude and longitude of repeaters?
I have visited the FCC website and entered in the repeater call sign, but have only been able to retrieve the licensee information.  Am I missing something that's right under my nose?
Also, I have the ARRL travel plus for repeaters that has maps in it, but those are very crude at best.  It has graphics of states and counties with a list of repeaters in the area, but nothing that lists their coordinates.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, everyone!

CLEBOT
KE5HVM
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 02:45:52 PM »

Try contacting your local repeater coordinator. They should have a database with that info.
Glen
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:46:23 PM »

The FCC has not required that repeater owners file that information with them, and has not issued any "repeater licenses" since the late 1970s.  They would not have this data.

The coordinating councils might not be willing to divulge the data, either.  Probably it would be best to contact the individual repeater owners one by one and simply ask them for the information.  I'd think most would be happy to provide it.

WB2WIK/6
KE4VBG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 07:24:05 PM »

This site lists Lattitude and Longitude for repeaters in the US. Maybe not all repeaters in your area, but some of them anyway. Hope this helps.

http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/

73, Doug
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:18:22 PM »

"The coordinating councils might not be willing to divulge the data, either. "

SERA requires that you buy their publication to get what should be PUBLIC INFORMATION!  They act as a quasi-governmental agnecy and SHOULD be required to follow FOIA guidelines and make this information available.
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:58:51 AM »

SERA does NOT provide coordinate information in their journal.  Further, SERA does NOT make their database available to the general publc.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 08:27:03 AM »

Repeaters are typically unattended and repeater owners are frequently afraid of theft and vandalism, so many will not provide any specific information about their locations.

Your mileage may vary but don't expect to find the locations widely published, or even disclosed.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 09:08:08 AM »

Some repeater owners are very open with this information, some aren't.

Smart ones usually are, because they appreciate help with maintenance and you can't get help if helpers don't know where to go.

Here's an example of a repeater group I belong to, and they publish the exact locations of all the repeater sites; I could drive up to any of them.  Of course, they also publish the height above sea level for each one, so I wouldn't need a topo map to find out -- it's already provided.

http://www.papasys.org

WB2WIK/6
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 10:24:58 AM »

Take this hypothetical:

I wish to operate an un-coordinated repeater with a non-standard split.  The following reference applies:

From FCC Part 97
ยง97.205 Repeater station.

(c) Where the transmissions of a repeater cause harmful interference to another repeater, the two station licensees are equally and fully responsible for resolving the interference unless the operation of one station is recommended by a frequency coordinator and the operation of the other station is not. In that case, the licensee of the noncoordinated repeater has primary responsibility to resolve the interference.

In order to comply with this provision I would need to know the frequencies, location, etc. about ALL repeaters in the area of my proposed repeater site.  SERA, which is operating as the frequency coordinating agency for the FCC, will not divulge this information to me.

CATCH 22

Dennis KG4RUL
CLEBOT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 11:32:11 AM »

Thank you for the many replies.  It sounds like I'll have the best luck just talking to club members and repeater "regulars" and getting "ballpark" locations (just south of the water tower, just east of the long fence, by the creek off county road 24, etc.).
It was really kind of a curiosity project to see where the different repeaters were in the county, and how close they were to my station.
Thanks again to everyone who offered their suggestions; I appreciate everyone's time and help.

Sincerely,

Clebot
KE5HVM

K4III

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 12:34:26 PM »

Check out this site

http://www.arrg.org/

They did pdf maps of frequencies of repeaters around the state that is awesome! I've been attempting to eventually do something like this myself. You don't need the exact location coordinates the way they did it, simply the area of strongest coverage.

Jon
N0JS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »

I am also interested in doing something with repeater GPS coordinates and my Garmin StreetPilot 2730.  I, too, have been stonewalled on getting the coordinates.  It does seem quite unusual that FCC licensees have there coordinates listed on the FCC website, but amateur coordinates are secret.
N0JS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 04:19:56 PM »

I guess I spoke too soon.

http://gpsinformation.biz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10238#10238

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=79807&SearchTerms=,

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/1001#comment-4454
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: