Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone remember how to operate Santec ST-142?  (Read 243 times)
NZ5N

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2007, 03:43:40 PM »

I was cleaning out the garage and found an old ST-142 2 meter handheld from the 1980's.  The battery pack was long dead but I have a functional replacement battery.  I powered it up and, with one possible exception, everything seemed to work, even the clock and the meter light.  The possible exception is that the display turns off after the unit is turned on for a few seconds.  Before it turns off, the display is bright and clear.  I'm not sure if the turn-off is a battery saving measure or a defect, probably the latter.  Anyhow, my problem is that I don't remember how to set the frequency for this HT.  During the few seconds that the display is illuminated, I see it is set for 121.500mhz.  If I could just reset to 145.2, I might have some use for this device.  I tried entering 452 Set and 1452 Set but that didn't do anything.  The only buttons besides the numbers are Scan, Set, OS (don't know what that means), and M/MW (memory/memory write?.

Anyone remember how to work this thing or, even better, have a manual for it?
Bill NZ5N  
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 06:28:47 PM »

I have one here and still use it. It was my 1st HT back in 1984. If you are going to change frequency for example to enter 146.520MHz just enter "6520" and then press the "SET" key. This is how you enter the frequency.

Good luck and enjoy. I found that a 9.6V RC pack that was  discontinued by radio shack for abut 8 bucks works perfectly.

Jaime-KA3NXN
NZ5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear it's still working for you.  I tried what you said, but no luck, can't get it to change from 121.500mhz.  It will even scan up or down from 121.5, but won't stick at any other frequency.  Too bad, surely a minor problem, but hard to fix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: