Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Meter Operating CW/SSB  (Read 893 times)
KD5ENR

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:51:01 PM »

With the recent changes, I was hoping someone could help some of us with the operating modes that are used most often on 10 meters. I know this probably qualifies  as a stupid question. The calling frequencies are a given. My question is this, is there a preference toward USB or LSB on 10 meters? I've been scanning around the band and haven't heard much activity except on the CW side, and it's very sporadic at best.

I completed my CW test in January, and I studied so hard, there was no way I wasn't going to take the code test, regardless of the new changes.

I know alot of folks don't like the changes and it's understandable, but there are those of us that have worked hard and just happened to catch the FCC changes  at the tail end. My home radio time is almost exclusivly on 40 meters CW, and I'm hooked on the music.

Thanks so much for the 10 meter information. I'm sure there's quite of few folks that can use it. God Bless you and yours.

Doc
KD5ENR, EM02, West Texas
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »

The common mode on 10M is USB.  Look towards the lower end of the band, especially 28.300 - 28.500.

You and everyone that has passed the FCC exams and have callsigns are HAMS and entitled to every courtesy and respect, regardless of licensing date!  Welcome.

73, Bill
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »

usb on 28.300 to 28.500 for voice, depand on weather that only time you will hear  on that  frq.the weather changes something you'll never know if skip in right time at the right place, here the link you might check into.

oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/  

Jackie
KG4ORX
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:53:16 PM »

Well said Bill, welcome Doc...God Bless
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »

"I've been scanning around the band and haven't heard much activity except on the CW side, and it's very sporadic at best. "

If you were hearing 10m CW this weekend, that was the ARRL DX contest... contests really open up the band because there are lots of very powerful stations who want to try to work the band even if it's more or less dead.

There will be more and better 10m openings come this spring and summer...

Don't stop listening now... it can open any time, but it will be more common later in the year.

In several years when the sunspots increase there will be constant worldwide activity on 10, but you need to wait for that.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »

this comment is not on topic but... I've had more fun on 10 meter fm than anything. When the band opens up later on you will be able to work the world with 10 watts and a vertical. There are repeaters on 10 as well, it was too cool to hit a repeater in Chicago or the Caribbean from my car in Los Angeles when the band was wide open a few years ago.
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »

I agree with USB in the 28300 to 28500 portion. You will find some CW in the CW portion of the band. Actually I hope the new ruels generates more activity on 10 meters. I think 10 meters is open a lot more than people think. I have an R/S 10 meter rig I leave scanning all the time and seldom is there anyone on it. I have an old CB that I leave on channel 9 and I hear skip on it quite a few times. I have tried calling CQ on 10 and still nothing. I hope things changes.
Terry
WB4QNG
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 04:42:19 PM »

Yes, 10m FM is a LOT of fun.  I use it quite a bit while mobile on my Yaesu 8900 -- I intentionally decided NOT to have anything more complex in my car.  At the top of the Cycle, it was fun to work into the W1OJ repeater in Boston (29.620-); there were often Europeans on it, too.  Fun conversation, just driving around town (I could occasionally hear the DX station on the input, but rarely very strong).

I often hear W1OJ on sporadic-E, but, without Europe, of course.

But, there is an important issue that the new 10m Techs should note.  True... Techs do have access to 28.300 to 28.500.  But, remember, your signal has width.  If you operate USB on 28.500, you are out of band.  During nice openings, there is often a DX station parked on that frequency (and above, of course), so be careful.

Peter, N4LI
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »

"I think 10 meters is open a lot more than people think"

That's probably right.  I started on HF back in 1996 at the bottom of the cycle and during the spring and summer I made contacts very regularly.  

It wasn't every day but probably every week or two... and I had pretty lame antennas.

In comparison to my 10m activity in, say, 2000, though 10m was (and is now) stone cold dead.  

At the peak of last cycle I was working Japan and Indonesia from my college dorm room with a 20 foot wire 12 feet off the ground fed against my window frame.  

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 05:04:48 PM »

www.arrl.org
Tons of info.
Bob
K5PEW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 07:05:44 PM »

Dear KD5ENR,

It's probably worth mentioning that there are tons of beacons World-wide, broadcasting their signals 24/7 on 10 meter CW. Most of them are between 28.200 and 28.300, with some others as low as 28.175 or so.

Almost all of them are somehwere betwen 5 and 25 Watts, so if you hear one it's a pretty safe bet that if there was a Ham in the same area as the beacon, and he or she were on 10 meters, you could likely hold a QSO. But right now, the likelihood of that happening is minimal.

Here's a link to a huge list of 10 meter beacons:
http://www.ten-ten.org/beacons.html

A google search on Sporadic-E propagation will yield plenty of worth-while reading material. You will learn quickly that at this point in the Sun cycle, the 10 meter DX spots where the Op writes "BAND OPEN!!!!", could be more accurately stated as "10 is open between me and a specific beacon, but I have no idea how the band is where you are."

As a teen I experienced a great deal of 11 meter skip near the top of the sun cycle. The 10/11 meter portion of the spectrum is a great deal of fun when the band is wide open. I recall TREMENDOUS signals absolutely thundering in without notice, dwelling a few seconds or minutes, and slipping away just as swiftly. If you miss your shot at a new one, just hang around 5 minutes and the smile will come back to your face. Very exciting!

Any new op (including me) has alot to look forward to as 10 meters starts to do it's thing again. I feel like a kid on the night before Christmas.

Good luck in all your Ham Radio activities.

Graham Welch - K5PEW (In memory of Paisley Elizabeth Welch)
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 08:36:28 PM »

We have a solar flare condition so RF conditions will be strange.

28.100 to 28.300 is the iCW portion (I'm sorry, I don't know of any main "calling frequency" in this frequency range.

28.400 is a good "calling frequency" for Technician licensee's on Upper Sideband (USB). Try there, and ask about good iCW frequencies.

I like that you list your grid square!

73! de John WA6BFH DM15ej
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 07:19:54 AM »

10 meters and other "dead" bands for that matter, are probably "open" to some where a whole lot more often than we realize.  If everybody just listened, then nobody would hear anything.  Somebody has to transmit in order for somebody to hear something. It takes patience but calling CQ, not once but over and over, on a "dead" band might prove the band is really "open".  You might even snare some rare DX.
W7WIK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 06:51:30 PM »

For future reference, if using SSB you should use USB above 10 MHz and LSB below 10 MHz, with a couple exceptions.  On the new 60 meter band you're required to use USB.  When putting digital signals like RTTY, Pactor, etc. on an SSB carrier the norm is usually LSB.

Marco, AA5ET
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: