Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Base Use of a Mobile Antenna  (Read 578 times)
KG4LJF

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:44:33 PM »

Hi all. I have a 10 Meter Hamstick, and I'd like to concoct some sort of stand that I can use to mount the antenna outside on a patio or in the yard for temporary QSO's.

I was thinking something along the lines of a old CB antenna mirror bracket, with a wire hanging down from the grounded part, used as a counterpoise. Would this work?

What do you guys reccomend? Thanks!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:52:12 PM »

You certainly can do like you say, you might want to use a couple of radials...

However, since a fullsize 10m 1/4 wave vertical is very short, I'd think about replacing the hamstick with a full-size radiator for better efficiency.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »

I made a "hamstick dipole" out of two 102" CB whips (available from Radio Shack ~$25/ea).  He worked great with an SWR ~1.5:1 on the 10M band without any trimming.  

Of course if you don't feel like spending the money on that using your 10M hamstick will work fine as well.  I'll second the notion to use three or four radials and set the 10M hamstick up as a groundplane antenna.  Cheap 3/8 x 24 antenna mounts can be picked up from the truck stop.  There are a variety of mounts that will facilitate easy mounting - clamp mounts, u-bolts, vice-grip mounts, etc...

Dan / ab0re
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:17:41 PM »

I would further accent and encourage you to follow N3OX's thoughts.

Use a CB whip cut down to about 98 inches. Also use several "counterpoise radials" (4 or more) {read Jerry Sevick's article on efficient vertcal antenna systems}. You will then have a killer antenna system!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 08:48:16 PM »

try it, and then let us know how it works...Smiley
K7SU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:13:54 AM »

Last summer I built a deck onto my house.  Then I realized that no deck at a ham QTH is complete unless there is some provision to work HF from it on a nice summer evening.  I had a Hustler mobile whip that wasn't being used so I rigged up a ball mount and mounted the whip about ten feet off the ground complete with three randomly strung radials for a counterpoise.  I used my Icom 718 on battery power and a paddle to work a good portion of the US from my deck on 20, 30 and 40 meters CW using about 25 to 50 watts. It's not as good as when it's hooked up to my rotating dipole at 50 feet or my delta loop on 40 but it will work and you'll have a ball!

Let us know how it works for you.

Kelly in southern Idaho
www.K7SU.4t.com
N0XMZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 06:55:05 AM »

Try 2 of them back to back. That's how I work 40 meters and up from my balcony. See n0xmz.com for pics.
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 07:52:42 AM »

Tom sez, "try it, and then let us know how it works...Smiley:

WHAT?  NO FAN RADIALS?Huh!    ;P
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 05:37:31 PM »

Sure it will work. I got the same situp in my attic for 10, 15, and 20 meters.
Terry
WB4QNG
K6TXD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 05:22:43 PM »

I use a 40M Hamstick on the roof of my mobile home at it works great. It works better then the 20M Isotron antenna I have. I also have used a 20M hamstick in the driveway with good results.
Gerry K6TXD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: