Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey guys,  (Read 338 times)
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:27:16 PM »

I just picked up an HTX-100 10-Meter, it's an old RS model based on a Uniden.

I know 10 meters is somwhat dead, but I'm wondering what my antenna options are.  Raising a tower or even a mast is kinda dicey for me as I have a fear of heights (though I do expect some help from the local HAM club.)

Here's what I'm thinking about as far as antenna options go:

1. A mag mount ontop of an OLD metal swamp-cooler that is attached to side of my house near the roof.

2. Same mag-mount attached to the rain-gutter.

3. Indoor horizontal dipole strung from the ceiling.

4. Outdoor Dipole (here's the rub I don't have any high trees or posts) So I'd wind up running the dipole maybe 6-10 feet off of the ground is that even safe or usable?

5. Lastly would it make sense to have two dipoles indoor or outdoor that criscross E-W and N-S ? To increase my directional capabilities?

I know 10 meters is dead right now, but I'd like to try some light DXing, even if it's only 20, 30 miles away I'd like to start trading QSL's and 10 meters seems a better way to do it then call CQ on my HT on 146.52, 146.54, 146.56.  
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:22:47 PM »

google homebrew antennas, and look at www.cebik.com
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:10:30 PM »

Just a helpful comment for you.... you'd probably get more people reading this topic if you used a more descriptive subject line than "Hey guys".

Ed
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:42:27 PM »

You may want to try picking up an Antron 99.  It's easy to put up, has tuning rings to help you get the lowest SWR, and will work well on 10 meters without a tuner!  You can get them new for around $50 bucks.
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 11:00:08 PM »

I know.....but how do you edit the title wants it's posted?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 03:37:42 AM »

I know.....but how do you edit the title wants it's posted?

You can't.  Better proofreading before hitting the send key will help (I need that some time also).

1. A mag mount ontop of an OLD metal swamp-cooler that is attached to side of my house near the roof.

That would work once the band opens up.

2. Same mag-mount attached to the rain-gutter.

Also will work.

3. Indoor horizontal dipole strung from the ceiling.

The signals are outdoors not indoors, it will work but not as well as outdoors.

4. Outdoor Dipole (here's the rub I don't have any high trees or posts) So I'd wind up running the dipole maybe 6-10 feet off of the ground is that even safe or usable?

You'll keep the grass warm, maybe get out of the state but not much else.  Too low, trust me, been there done that.

5. Lastly would it make sense to have two dipoles indoor or outdoor that criscross E-W and N-S ? To increase my directional capabilities?

Sure.

I know 10 meters is dead right now, but I'd like to try some light DXing, even if it's only 20, 30 miles away

That's not DXing.  DXing is working foreign countries, not foreign towns.  With what you've described and with 25 watts out of that rig, you should be good for a few hundred miles.  I've got the same rig and have tried all the combos you've stated.  It will work.

N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:13:03 AM »

Have you considered making a down-and-dirty ground plane?  You don't need trees for that.  The radiator would only be just over 8 feet long.  You could make it out of #10 or #12, zip-corded to a piece of PVC, or something.  It should work pretty well.  Cheap to build, too.

> I know 10 meters is dead right now...

Well, 10m isn't a hotbed of activity right now, but, there are signals.  In the contest this past weekend, there were strong signals from South America, and the Caribbean.  Late Sunday, there was even a little sporadic-E with Florida and Texas coming in.  The ground plane discussed above would have had no trouble getting in on the action.

Peter, N4LI
AD5LT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 05:25:26 AM »

Check out this one, from one of my favorite operators Glen K9STH at http://k9sth.com/uploads/6-metervertical1.jpg
Thats the number oneafter the L in vertical.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »

If you can get some help, get them to install a CB ground plane on a chimney mount or roof tripod.  It will run rings around any kind of mag mount installed anywhere, or the indoor dipole.

CB ground planes are actually pretty good antennas and really don't require any re-tuning to work on the 10m ham band, although very slight re-tuning may get them to "match" a bit better.  (I usually don't bother.)

They're also cheap!  Although CB service is a "4 watt output" license-free service, most of the CB ground planes I've used or seen will handle high power just fine.  A conventional 1/4-wave ground plane will handle a kilowatt.

WB2WIK/6
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »

I once had a LOT of time to waste at work watching a piece of equipment for some strange "Symptoms"

For something to do to keep me from going NUTS!! I set up a HTX-100 with a Magmount CB antenna stuck to a window sill and it worked GREAT!!

I had CW contacts all over the world.  When the band is open, it's *OPEN* but when it is not, you can't get anywhere even running a beam and a KW of power.

W8KQE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 12:37:50 PM »

Years ago, my cousin, a 'newly minted' Ham, was in the same boat as you.  He also had a basic 12 watt, 10m mobile SSB rig, and I advised him to get an 'Antron 99' or an 'IMAX-2000'.  They are both good 10m/11m antennas that get out well, and don't require radials.  Or if you're handy, build yourself a good 10m 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave vertical.  In any case, he opted for the 'Antron', and I remember talking all over the place on his setup, including 'ZL' and 'VK' during the last cycle's peak (around the time of)!  We had a lot of fun with that basic station on 10m.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 04:50:07 PM »

A simple CB ground plane antenna, on a 5 foot mast, into an eve mount should do fine for you.

I head a rumor that some people have made a vertical wire dipole taped to a wooden ladder, leaned against their house, until they get an antenna on their roof.

Bob
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »

I agree with the CB antenna. They make great 10 meter antennas. If you got the nerve just look around the neighborhood and kock on some doors. You might be surprised to find out the guy has been wanting to get rid of his old CB antenna for years and couldn't find anyone to take it down.
Terry
WB4QNG
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 10:43:42 PM »

Funny you said that. I just had a friend of mine who is a roofing contractor who knows I am a ham come over the other day and he handed me a Solarcon Antron 99 with 50 feet of RG 213 cable for nothing.

Apparently the homeowner didn't want it there on the roof any longer.

Sometimes people move away and leave old CB antenna's and towers up. When the new homeowners come along they just leave them there. I bet they would  actually pay YOU to take them away. Of course, I would probobly just offer to do it for free.

Now I need to figure out where to mount that Antron antenna that was given to me.

Pretty good shape really.

73 Charles - KC8VWM
W9SZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 07:30:56 AM »

I got an HTX-100 back around 1989 and strung a 10 meter dipole up in my attic. It was oriented E-W (radiation most likely N-S but possibly altered by attic wiring) and I worked much DX over the next few years with it.  This was near the peak of that sunspot cycle. It wasn't the "optimum antenna" for 10 meters but it did work. It sure got into Russia very well!

The groundplane vertical should also work well.  I used a 102 inch whip shortened for 10 meters on my car and also worked DX with it mobile during this same time period.

Right now the HTX-100 is being used primarily as an IF rig for 50-432 MHz. But I might run it mobile on 28 MHz again when the sunspots peak in a few years.

Whatever you do, have fun!  There are often sporadic-E openings that open up 10 meters during these bleak years of low sunspot activity. Keep listening around and work whoever you can.

73, Zack W9SZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: