Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 Power Level  (Read 353 times)
KG6EJT

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2007, 04:24:39 PM »

I just started running PSK31, using a SignaLink USB interface on my TS-140. The instructions say to decrease the transmit power level on the SignaLink, but keep the RF out on the transceiver to full power.

I can monitor output on my wattmeter, and I have it set to around 30-40w out. As the duty cycle of digital is 100%, I don't want to overdrive, and possibly damage my rig. Is 30-40w a good power level for digital modes? How about CW?

Tnx & 73.
WB8UHZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 04:56:34 PM »

Hello
I have a SignaLink , very good item. Actually 20 to 25
watts is fine for PSK31.....you power level won't hurt but its not needed..
73 tim
wb8uhz
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:58:08 PM »

You're right in the ballpark for the maximum recommended output.  Actually, you can work the world with about 5 watts, and a dipole using PSK31.  I wouldn't go over 50% of your rigs maximum power output.
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »

I really have never much operated PSK31 with over 5 Watts.  To me, it's a QRP thing.  Generally, I can work everyone I can hear, and worked all over the globe.

When you start to run big power on PSK, you just tend to get wide, not stronger, and your transmitter starts throwing little artifacts across the passband.  This will make one unpopular pretty quickly.

50 Watts is certainly the high end of what I would recommend.  Oh, and make doubly sure your compressor is off if you are going in through the mic input.

Have fun; it's a great mode.

Peter, N4LI
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 09:25:42 AM »

I would encourage you to use no more than about 10 - 15 watts, please.   PSK31 is fantastic at picking up weak signals and the extra power is wasted.  It only serves to overload other stations reception.   PSK31's biggest weakness is that it has very poor dynamic range and is easily overloaded by strong signals.

73,  bill
KD5PKS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »

I set my rig output to full and adjust the tx gain ( computer volume) to the point at which I am not seeing any deflection on the ALC meter. It's usually around 50 watts on the power meter. This is the maximum I run and it's a good way to assure a clean signal. You can cut the power back to wherever you like using the volume on the computer. If you reduce using the power out knob, you may have to readjust tx gain for no ALC.
KG6EJT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 10:25:07 AM »

Thanks guys!

This sounds like a case where "less is more" Smiley

I have reduced power to 25w out on 40m last night. Band conditons were pretty bad, but I'll give it a better try over the weekend. There was a lack of signals, not that I was too low in power. A ZS did pop up on the band but he wasn't able to OSO with anyone.

-Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: