Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observations Of A Newcomer  (Read 865 times)
W4DRR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 09:36:41 AM »

Frank, unfortunately not every web site is as friendly as Outbackers.com

Bob

Bob
FRATRA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 11:38:43 AM »

All,

Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback. I'm looking forward to my new hobby and hopefully one day we'll talk on the air.

Bob,

Yes, I think I have been spoiled by the Oubackers family.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 11:05:06 PM »

Get licensed and start operating.  You'll find that the bands are _much_ friendlier than the eHam forums.

We were all beginners, once.  Some of us not so long ago!

Charles
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »

Fratra,
Don't let the handful of curmudgeons here scare you off.  The internet allows people to say things they would never dare in real life.  While IMO we could use a little more censoring by the moderators here, the problem makers on eHam are nothing compared to many other boards of various types on the internet.

I've been a ham since I was a teenager, 29 years.  As a rule hams are some of the friendliest people I"ve known.  8 - 80 years old, pauper to millioniare, we have common interests that makes even a new introduction an instant friend.  There is never any lack of advice when you have a technical problem.  Fellows are alway proud to show off their rigs if you want to get some hands on experience with one you've never tried.

Ham radio has been a life long hobby that is always there even when I haven't been able to be active.  It is constantly changing and evolving, and the longer I'm involved the more interesting and satisfying it becomes.

Jump in, the water's fine!  Good luck on the exam.

73, Bill
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 02:59:19 PM »

Bob, I'll join the chorus.  Welcome to the world's greatest hobby.  I suspect the proportion of jerks among ham radio operators is about the same as in the general population.  They just have access to microphones and keys and...as you have noticed...the Internet.

If you join Yahoo groups or visit chat rooms devoted to other hobbies or pursuits, I think you'll see the same few blow-hards who give those avocations a bad name and probably scare interested folks away.  And I honestly think we are more aware of on-air amateur radio crackpots because they stand out so much from a mostly civilized bunch of good guys and gals.  Dial away, ignore them, don't respond to them, and they'll lose the one thing they crave the most and will do anything to get...attention.

73 and good luck on the exam.  See you on the air soon.

Don N4KC
www.donkeith.com/n4kc.htm
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: