Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voice Stations Present in CW section of Band  (Read 813 times)
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 06:02:39 PM »

You should be using at least a 500 cycle CW filter.  I use a 240 cycle one.  With those filters, you cannot understand SSB.

You will hear a lot of USA calls when the DX is split.  The DX has to identify the USA station he is working split.

If you hang out in the SSB portion of 40, you will encounter interference to your CW signals.  This is normal.  People are not stepping on your signals.  You are in THEIR SSB sub band.

And, we share 30 meters with other services.

Bob
W9SZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 07:46:50 AM »

The rare contester or DXer in the USA will either accidentally or intentionally call a DX station on SSB out of the band on 40m during a contest.  I did this myself one year in CQWW - it was about 3 AM on Sunday morning, I'd only had a couple hours sleep since the contest started Friday evening and I called a station on about 7050 by accident. I got no answer (he was listening up in the US segment) and there was evidently no one else around to tell me "Wrong VFO". I figured it out myself pretty quickly, tuned to his listening frequency above 7150 and worked him.

There are a very very few bad eggs who think they are OK to call DX on 40m from the USA below 7150 kHz. I don't know what to say about them.

Regular DX SSB (except for USA and a few other places) takes place down to 7050 and I have heard it go as low as 7020 in contests. Most of these listen up in the USA phone segment or in some cases on both frequencies (USA phone and their own transmitting frequency) if they want to work USA stations.

You may have heard a DX station WORKING USA stations and giving their calls.  He was probably listening up above 7150.

73, Zack W9SZ
NZ5N

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 07:47:28 PM »

I agree that most USA SSB below 7125 khz occurs by accident during contests, but Zack is being gentle by saying only a "very very few bad eggs" do so on purpose, in response to a CQ from a DX station transmitting below 7125, not working split, not in a contest.  If only DX stations would just ignore such callers....
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »

On the same subject, but different mode - I haven't heard  any US stations on phone below 7.150, but have noticed that CW and RTTY ops apparently have no regard for the PSK31 operators on 7.070 and MFSK on 7.073. This apparently happens during CW and RTTY contests. It's probably a "legal" use of the frequency but is very incosiderate to those of us who are not operating in the contest.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: