Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone tried this?? sloper, inverted v  (Read 317 times)
KF4AGD

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2007, 06:43:48 PM »

I have an idea that I am going to try.  Please let me know what you think.  I have 60 ft telescopic antenna pole for a center support.  At the top, I plan to run a multiband (Two resonant wires fed with 50 ohm coax) 40-80 meter inverted V in a north-south direction.  On the west side, I thought about adding a sloper for 40 meters and the east side a sloper for 80 meters.  I realize there may be interaction amongst the antennas and also the support pole itself may lend some directivity to the sloper(s). I then, will send these 3 coax cables into a remote switch then to the shack.  You may ask why the sloper?  My answer is the research I have done online and in an antenna handbook tells me it has a much lower angle of radiation than the inverted V.  I cannot atest this fact as I have never used a sloper.  Also, when I try the experiment, I will need at least 2 more sets of guy wires.  I could probably use a non-conductive nylon of dacron.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »

You'll have huge interaction, but if you're not too worried about pattern then you'll probably be able to tune everything for good SWR.  I assume you're talking about making a sloping dipole rather than a sloper where the pole is half of the antenna.  The latter is really hit or miss as far as performance.

I'd go with the non-conductive guy ropes to simplify your life ;-)

73 and good luck,
Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KF4AGD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 07:12:29 PM »

I plan on the half wave dipole sloper.  Thanks for your comments
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:44:39 PM »

the sloper usually needs a tower with a big beam on it to act as the other "half" of the antenna. using a multiband single feed dipole ( fan dipole) run one north south and the other east west. easier to tune and will work fine,
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »

Not sure how your gonna run an 80 meter 1/2 wave sloper on a 65 foot tower. In my experience unless I can get around 45 degrees of angle referance to the ground it won't do anything that the inverted vee already does in half the space. Unless I am misunderstanding the question you will need a tower twice the height you describe to acheive the benefits of a true 1/2 wave sloper on 80, should work well on 40 though.

Bob N4JTE
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 09:30:15 PM »

Sounds overly ambitious.

Have you found W4RNL's site yet?  Tons of antenna info.
Bob
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:38:37 AM »

Sounds ambitious, but you will be well on your way to having an 'antenna farm'.   Smiley

I would suggest starting with the mulitband antenna alone, tweek it, and get a feel for how well it works.  Add the slopers later.  That way you will better be able to recognize any interactions.

Good luck.  Experimenting is what it's all about.

73, bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: