Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth installing a 10M antenna.....  (Read 317 times)
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2007, 09:58:11 PM »

Does anyone think it'd  be worthwhile to install a 10M antenna (dipole or 16ft vertical on the roof) to take advantage of the this springs sporadic E?

Or am i just better off waiting a few years?
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:33:54 PM »

By all means put it up. There should be some local activity in your area.
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml
Glen WT0A
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:38:25 AM »

Put one up!!  There were DX openings on 10m a few weeks ago, and they do come on from time to time even at the bottom of the cycle.  Also, there are lots of new hams now on 10m SSB who just recently got voice privs. when Techs got the automatic no code upgrade in late Feb.  With a decent dipole you should be able to get out 30+ miles groundwave, even with low power!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:06:30 AM »

ROBFINDLAY wrote, "Does anyone think it'd be worthwhile to install a 10M antenna (dipole or 16ft vertical on the roof) to take advantage of the this springs sporadic E?"

Only if you don't want to work 10 meters!

Scott N0IU  
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 05:29:47 AM »

Sure but you won't use it very much except during rare openings, during contests, or when DXpeditions are active and look to use that band.

In the meantime you really need to get active on 40/10/17 which are the money bands right now.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:39:50 AM »

I think Phil meant 40/20/17, but by all means, put up a 10m antenna!

I spent a year working only 10m when I started as a Tech + at the bottom of the last sunspot cycle.  I spent a lot of time listening to static.  However, there were fairly frequent openings to the U.S., and very occasional DX openings... but I took advantage of them.  I just counted.  In 1995-1996 I worked about 18 DXCC countries on 10m with simple wire antennas.

Trying to make contacts via sporadic E is an activity for the patient, for sure, but it's certainly better than waiting two years! You have a radio, you might as well use it!

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
NZ5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:07:16 AM »

I worked most of South and Central America on 10 meters during the ARRL DX Contest last month, and I worked about 20 states in just 2 hours during the recent 10-10 Contest.  The band has been mostly quiet outside of contests, however.  Thought there might be an increase in activity after Techs got 10m phone privileges, but so far I have not noticed much.

By the way, you mentioned a 16' vertical.  Do you mean a vertical dipole?  That would be 16'.  A standard 1/4 wave vertical would be 8'.  It would need radials.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:14:35 AM »

The bands are NEVER totally dead.  Sunspots are on the increase, and spring is arriving with E-skip, improved conditions, and hams being more active on the air.

Conversely, you'll never work anyone without an antenna, and your radio turned on.  So get that thing hung, and turn your radio on whenever you are at home.

Consider also that as you sit quietly listening to static there may be dozens of other hams doing the same thing!  Grab that mike and send some CQ's.  The band could be wide open but if no one transmits, you'll never know it.  I've seen this situation many times.

Weekends during the day are probably your best bet, but the ionosphere is dynamic and hams work odd hours.  Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done.  Put up the best antenna you can and give it a whirl.  Learn to use the real-time propagation forecasts available online.  Make yourself "Mr. 10 Meters".

Good luck!   Bill
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 12:36:21 PM »

Of course it's worth it.

The good thing about 10 meters is you can use cut-down CB antennas.

Go to a junk shop or hit some yard sales and look for an old CB antenna.  Tune it for 10 meters.

You can build a light and cheap 10 meter ground plane using a mobile CB whip (the 102 inch kind, not the spiral-wound shorties), clamp it to a vent stack, drape 4 tuned radials down your roof, and tune the whole mess for 10.

When the band is open, it will talk all over the world.

If you have any trees, build a wire 10-meter J-pole out of some ladder line.  Just scale it up from a 2-meter or 6-meter design, tune it trom there, and hang it from a tree.  Youll need a coax choke at the feedpoint, but that's easy.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »

Just don't expect the antenna to suddenly make 10M come alive with signals like 75M and 40M. All you'll hear is noise and your "birdies" *most* of the time.

At this point in the cycle, 10M requires lots of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: