Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elmer - Acronym?  (Read 542 times)
SCUBA

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2007, 04:49:13 PM »

Hi, what does the acronym ELMER stand for?  Is it something like,
Extra-class Licensee M___ E___ R___
The Dxing.com website only gives the definition as,
"elmer - a mentor; an experienced operator who tutors newer operators."

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 05:09:26 PM »

NASA
USA
WFWL
LOL

Elmer
Kilroy
Paul
Bob
Marietta
Anne

Bob
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »

What makes you think 'Elmer' is an acronym?
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:45:30 PM »

Is Elmer an acronym? Evidently not - they were the friendly hams down the street who let ten year olds hear those funny bleep blip signals he said were from Japan and England and Brazil when I was the ten year old. Not that we could prove that, but that's what he said.

He's the one who taught said ten year old the code while his equally kid friendly wife laid out hot home made cookies and milk. And who eventually helped the by then fourteen year old with a brand new Conditional license string an antenna and get his S-38 and breadboarded single 6L6 on the air. The one the kid built from a diagram in Radio News and parts scavenged from the local dump.

If we called our friend anything, it was usually Mister, sometimes teacher, or mentor. Somewhere along the way Elmer came into popularity. Don't ask me why - I wasn't looking at the time.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »

as far as I remember it is just a reference to a "mentor" and aI think one of the little cartoons in the early QST's had a character named Elmer.

I don't know the definitive answer, but here is my myth
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:14:21 PM »

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). I believe it was simply the name of the mentor he was describing. It isn't an acronym for anything.

WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 10:21:41 PM »

SCUBA: self contained underwater breathing apparatus
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 04:11:37 AM »

Roger, understood, thanks.

If it were to be an acronym (this seems hokie). E.L.M.E.R.
Extra-class Licensees Make Expert Radio-operators
Extra-class Licensees are Making Expert Radio-operators
Extensive Learning Makes Extra-class Radio-operators

Not suggesting implementing any of the above, expert opinions
are appreciated.

73s
Jack
SCUBA and SCBA
Smiley
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:11:32 AM »

ARRL is using the term "mentor" in some of their publications because non-hams know what a mentor is but probably aren't familiar with "elmer".

Why do we need it to be an acronym? It is what it is :-)

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 09:05:20 AM »

We all know Elmer.  Known him for years.  No acronym required.

Terry
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:18:51 AM »

I always thought it had something to do with glue lol
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 02:07:37 PM »

From the ARRL website:

>Origin of the term "Elmer"

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). Newkirk called them "the unsung fathers of Amateur Radio." While he probably was not trying to coin a term at the time, here's how Newkirk introduced "Elmer" in his column and, as it turned out, to the rest of the Amateur Radio world:

"Too frequently one hears a sad story in this little nutshell: 'Oh, I almost got a ticket, too, but Elmer, W9XYZ, moved away and I kind of lost interest.'"

Newkirk went on to say, "We need those Elmers. All the Elmers, including the ham who took the most time and trouble to give you a push toward your license, are the birds who keep this great game young and fresh."--Rick Lindquist, N1RL

As you can see, the term is not very old. Prior to the first use of Elmer as the one who guided and encouraged us, what were these folks called? I have received a lot of suggestions; teacher, mentor, tutor, guide, helper, sage? All are appropriate but my guess would be that first and foremost they were called friend.<

Seems right.   When I was a new ham in the 60s, I never heard anybody referred to as an "Elmer," so the term was coined after that.

WB2WIK/6
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 08:17:19 AM »

When I got in we called them Old Timers, and it had the appropriate respect conotated to it.  I think Elmer is a stupid term often associated with cwazy wabbits.

73  W9OY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: