Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW gone, Investing in Ham Radio  (Read 313 times)
SCUBA

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:03:44 AM »

Hi,
A small dealer told me that demand for his HF products is way up (attributed to the demise of the CW requirement).  Assuming a mass migration to HF, and entry of CB'ers and others (who were previously "turned off" by cw), it seems prudent to look toward investment opportunities.  

A quick look around reveals that the big 3 are listed; Yaesu Musen is on the Tokyo stock exch., Kenwood and Icom are listed OTC.  

Kenwood KNWCF.PK (Other OTC)
Kenwood TKT.F (Frankfurt)
Yaesu Musen 6821 (Tokyo)
Icom ICOIF.PK (OTC)

The question becomes, "what other manufacturers (and even large dealerships) are likely to go public (IPO)"?
73's
KD4RBG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:45:38 AM »

I'd be interested in seeing a chart in order to determine whether or not the stock price already reflects the new reality.  You can do the research for free at http://finance.yahoo.com or through your online broker's toolset.

Sometimes, the analysts *do* miss something like this, but the demise of the CW requirement was in the New York Times, or so I'm told.

If there hasn't been an appreciable increase over the six month period running up to Feb. 23rd, then you may have something, or the analysts may feel the market is too small at this point for any of it to matter very much.

Another thing:  On Yahoo or your broker's site, do these stocks have "buy" recommendations on them?

Jeff
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 05:14:19 AM »

"The question becomes, "what other manufacturers (and even large dealerships) are likely to go public (IPO)"? "

None.  Amateur radio is just a tiny portion of their sales.  And contrary to what you're dealer friend is saying, there are not people coming out of the woodwork to become hams.  It just isn't happening - I'm a VE team leader, and we aren't seeing it at our test sessions.  We've had 11 new licensees or upgrades total at our last TWO test sessions.  There were probably 10 times that many back in 2000 when the requirements last changed.

Besides, a great deal of these people who are upgrading either already had an HF rig, or they are buying used.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »

Reportedly we have had a lot of new licensees in the area.  

I agree, though, the used market is very active right now.  For a look into this, go on ebay and look at ICOM 718 or Yaesu FT-857 prices.

It is not uncommon for these rigs to sell used at higher prices than before and often at nearly the same as new radios.
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »

Some of the company's mentioned sell comercial, military and other products. I doubt that the additional ham gear they may sell will effect the stock much. Don WD8PTB
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »

Keep an eye open for Chinese firms entering into the HAM radio market.  They have already jumped into every other market (including electronics and now automobles) that were once the domain of US and as well as Japanese and Korean manufacturers.  They may want to capitalize on any new surge in demand for amateur gear.  We may see an influx of new radios that are a lot less expensive than what is currently on the market, and that could be a good thing for ham buyers!
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:29:25 PM »

Interesting comments.  However, as for me and my money, I think I will stick with a number of other investment choices.  I own very few individual stocks, Apple being one of them, and I wish I would have bought Radio Shack a while back (6 months ago) when I first read a recommendation on that stock.  But, then again, you can't do everything right.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »

I heard a rumor that good old Radio Shack may be getting back into the Amateur Radio market!  We shall see.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »

I heard a rumor that good old Radio Shack may be getting back into the Amateur Radio market!  We shall see.
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »

An old Traders saying:

"You can't make money off of information that everybody knows."

If there is so much movement in to ham radio that these companies make a lot of money on ham radio equipment, the hobby as we know it, is gone.... it will sound like CB channel 19....

BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU WISH FOR!

73,  K0ZN
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 03:57:49 PM »

The RF is rectified, filtered into varying DC, and then passed through a coupling capacitor.

Simple but amazing story of how RF becomes audible!

Its still black magic that a few components can create sound from RF without additional electricity.

Bob
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 07:19:46 PM »

I worked for a friend who had an electronic store in a small town. It used to amaze me at how the local hams would stomp in there demanding that he fix their gear ASAP and for little or no charge. All the while they were moaning and groaning about the Chicken Banders and the folks with the high power audio amps. The business wouldn't have lasted a week if we had depended on hams for income. If I'd have had any money to invest at that time it might have been in a hearing aid company's stock. I don't know if there are too many folks making money on hams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: