Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuba?  (Read 1066 times)
KD4RBG

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:33:51 PM »

Hi all,

I made a contact in Cuba and wanted to send a QSL card and a couple of green stamps to get a card back, but then I noticed when I was pricing out the postage that it's pretty much forbidden to send currency to Cuba due to an embargo that I forgot we had.

From an earlier thread, I learned that the only way to ensure getting a card back was to pay the return postage.  Other than Int'l Reply Coupons (which may be problematic in Cuba), how am I going to get this QSL card with no good way to pay the return postage?  The bureau route doesn't seem like a viable option in this case...

Ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
K2RNY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:51:50 PM »

Check to see if the station in Cuba you made the contact with has a QSL Manager identified.  There are numerous QSL Manager websites out there to check on.

Good Luck
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »

"it's pretty much forbidden to send currency to Cuba due to an embargo that I forgot we had."

I don't think so. Loads of Cuban refugees in Miami send money to their relatives in Cuba regularly. American currency is more widely used in Cuba than their own.

I don't know if they actually send cash or not, but I do know they send money to their relatives. It's the only way that people in Cuba can afford anything.

I think you should research this and see what you can do.
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:31:18 PM »

> Cuban refugees in Miami send money to their relatives in Cuba regularly.

Right.  But, it's pretty tightly regulated.  One can send a family member (and that's a defined term) up to $300/quarter.  There are also some rules about sending money to aid someone leave the Island.

Short of that, simply sending cash might be questioned.  One also might wonder whether the money will actually arrive at it's intended destination.

The cards I have gotten from Cuba have been brokered by a Manager, though some of the cards have come directly from the operator.

Peter, N4LI
WN4DW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »

Why not just use the bureau?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:30:09 PM »

I'd use the buro also.  You are an ARRL member, aren't you?
KD4RBG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »

>Why not just use the bureau?

Well, even though I'm a member of ARRL, I haven't been using the Outgoing QSL service.  I've been sending cards direct with SASE or couple of green stamps, and it's been okay in every instance except this one to do so.

Almost every citation of bureau use seems to note that using any bureau carries with it the near certainty of the return QSL card taking about four years to arrive.  I wanted something a little quicker and was willing to pay and take the chance on having the postage money stolen, but then I discover that I don't have the choice in the case of Cuba.

I've got an email in to some guy who was recommended in the eHam reviews as a source of foreign postage.  Maybe I can do it that way.

Of course, if I'm stupidly overlooking something, I'd appreciate being gently Elmered in the right direction.  This particular contact does QSL, someone on contesting.com reported receiving a card.

Jeff
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »

Stick with the foreign postage source.  I think you'll find in the long run that it'll be a little cheaper than enclosing greenstamps or IRCs.

Personally I've used Bill Plum for my stamps and envelopes.  I'll usually enclose a couple greenstamps with my SASE if the card is going to a costly expedition, ie FT5XO or, should I work them, BS7H.  I also plan to make a donation to the charity that the ops of 1A4A were helping out.

Frank, W1NK
KD4RBG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »

Plum, that's the guy.  All I have is an email address, there doesn't seem to be an URL anywhere.

Jeff
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 04:11:08 PM »

Cuba is an easy QSO from Georgia.  Get in a couple of DX contests and you will get Cuban cards without even asking for them.
73 Allen
W6HB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »

WF5E's Outgoing QSL Service is another good way to expedite QSL flow and Les know's all the ropes! Check out www.qsl.net/wf5e/.
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 05:17:19 PM »

Jeff--

Bill doesn't have a web address.  Just drop him an email and he'll send you info on stamp, envelope, and even QSL album prices.  He's quick!

Frank, W1NK
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 05:32:33 PM »

I would just stick a couple of green stamps in it and forget it. I don't think Fidel will get that excited about it. I wish someone would tell me why after 45 years why we still have an embargo with Cuba. We lost a war to Viet Nam and my winter coat was made there.
Terry
WB4QNG
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 06:22:38 PM »

As QNG said, you're only going to get in trouble for green stamps if you get caught.  Who's gonna spend a jillion bucks prosecuting you for two pictures of George Washington?

However, if it really makes you squeamish, go to the Post Office, buy an IRC for $1.85, and be done with it.

The worst thing that can happen if he doesn't want IRCs is you're out $1.85.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 08:37:01 PM »

You'll be able to work many stations from Cuba.  You can wait 'till one of 'em has a manager.

Last time I heard about 4 year turn around was when we had to use PO Box 88 Moscow for all of the USSR.

Even if you are at a real disadvantage, indoor antenna, or limited to QRP into a low dipole, now, there isn't much of a reason to QSL direct to the most common 200 countries.

The most needed 50 or 60 countries usually wind up on the air, eventually, with QSL managers.

At $2 a pop, plus the outgoing postage, you can save enough $$ on common countries to buy a fairly good rotator etc.

Bob

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: