Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EF Johnson  (Read 503 times)
KD8ERE

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:58:27 PM »

Hey all! I recently got an EF Johnson 5300 Series Mobile. According to the manual, I'm suppose to connect it directly to my vehicle's battery. I did that. I tried to power it up, but I got nothing. Does anyone know if there is something else I'm suppose to do? I'm going to double check the fuse. That part looked fine. Can anyone help me?!

Ryan KD8ERE
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »

I think I'd take it back to whoever programmed it, and ask them.  It obviously had to power-up so they could program it for the Amateur Band (or whatever public service you are associated with) since the radio is a commercial (read that: primarily) professional / public service radio, I'd just find the Johnson / Midland / Motorola radio shop near you and haul it down to them and ask some questions.  You didn't say "HOW" you acquire it... if you got it from someone you trust then do the above... if you DON'T trust your "source"... then be advised there is a national database of ... shall we say.... MIS-acquired radios...
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:56:28 PM »

Be sure and check fuse itself with a multimeter.  Don't just eyeball it.

Bill.  (voice of experience)
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:12:47 AM »

http://www.efjohnson.com/PDF/5300_spec.1_07.pdf

Anything on the display?

Bob
DA2KI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:32:16 AM »

You might want to also check to see if the radio has an "ignition sense" wire.  Many business band 2-way radios now have this feature.  The radio is installed in the vehicle so that the ignition key must be turned to either the "accessory" position or the "run" position in order to work.  A tap point on the vehicles fuse block will provide 12-volts DC when the ignition key is in the accessory or run position.  If the radio does not "sense" 12-volts DC on this wire, it will not turn on - thus preventing unauthorized use of the radio.

Since the "ignition sense" wire is only used to detect the presence or not of 12-Vdc (and not to actually power the radio) it will not be very heavy guage wire.  In fact, you may be wondering why you have two red wires in the wiring harness, one thick and one thin.  The thick red wire, along with the corresponding black wire, provide the actual operating power for the radio.  The thin red wire is just there to detect the presense of 12-Vdc.

Some radios have the ignition sense function "strapped out" on the back of the radio.  A "dummy plug" with a cross connect wire is inserted into the accessory jack on the back of the radio.  The same method is used to set the radio up for internal or external speaker operation.  The dummy plug is strapped for internal speaker use, otherwise the audio comes out the accessory jack on a separate wiring harness that is connected to the external speaker. (all this, just to avoid the cost of providing an external speaker jack!)
KD8ERE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 05:16:51 PM »

Thank you to all who responded with suggestions at to what may get my radio to power up. After reading the responses here, as well as talking to a few other ham friends, and emailing the company, I learned that the ignition sense wire needed to be ran to either the battery or a hot spot in the fuse box. I ran the wire to the battery, plugged in the radio, and away we go! Thanks again to all!!

Ryan KD8ERE
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 01:04:47 PM »

Who wud have guessed about a sense wire!
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: