Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good CW DX Rig  (Read 247 times)
NK8A

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2007, 01:34:05 PM »

Hello, I would like to upgrade my rig. I now have a kenwood ts 570 that is very good  for cw. I think I should have a rig with a better reciever. I have a good dx antenna, hf2v, with many radials. I would like to hear some opinions on upgrading or staying with what I have... thanks...Dave,..NK8A
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »

W8JI has a nice read through about rigs on his web site.

W4RNL''s site has great info on different antennas you can build and try.

Bob
AK2B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »

I use a K2(QRP version) and I am quite happy with it. If I wasn't satisfied with the K2 I would probably be looking at the Orion II. I've never used an Orion but it seems to have climbed to the top of list of great receivers, cw or otherwise.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »

Rig choices are much like navel contests. Every contestant has one, every judge has a favorite, and the debate will never end.

In order to get me to open my wallet, a CW rig must have good ears along with outstanding selectivity and stability - but must not spread key clicks or other artifacts over the adjacent 50 kHz. QRMing the DX is really self defeating. That puts the stock version of several popular radios in the less than desirable category for CW.

The K2 is a very nice radio. However, Ten Tec's Orion has won every rig shootout here. In descending order of performance, it is followed by the Omni VI, Omni V, and then the K2. If you are budget limited, either of Ten Tec's Paragons or Corsairs will also do a fine job for you. And if reports are true Ten Tec's new Omni VII will run with the Orion.

If you are looking for a NEW CW rig, my choice would be the Orion, Omni VII, or K2. If new or used is OK, my list is in order in the third paragraph. If price is the major consideration, drop the Omni VII and reverse the order, keeping in mind that the Corsairs are permability tuned and the tuning mechanism may require some TLC every few years. No big deal, Ten Tec keeps parts in stock seemingly forever.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
W4DL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:21:05 PM »

New or used Ten Tec or used Drake or if you can solder, build an Elecraft.
AB9LZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:12:50 AM »

I had fun making my K2, but it's nothing compared to my TS-850 when it comes to DX chasing.

73 m.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: