Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Un-Smoke a Radio  (Read 280 times)
KO6IC

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:39:22 AM »

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Yaesu FT-736R after looking for one for quite some time.  After getting it home and using it for a while, a strong cigarette odor started to develop.   Other than this, the radio operates well.

Is there any way get cigarette smoke out of a radio?  It gets pretty stinky after the radio has been on for a while and has warmed up.  Any thoughts would be appreciated as my wife is not particularly pleased about this.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:53:02 AM »

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/92961
KG6OMK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:45:07 AM »

In the hotel industry they sometime need to "unsmoke" a room to turn it into a "non-smoking room".  One thing they use is an ozone generator.  They simply leave it running  in the room for a few days.  The ozone will permeate into porous objects.  I think in addition they clean the drapes, carpet and bedding but I'm told the ozone realy does do the job.  
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »

I own a dry cleaning business.  We "un-smoke" smoke damaged garments and curtains in an ozone room.  Our business is restoration from house fires, not from cigarette smoke, but ozone may work on that too.  You might locate a dry cleaner in your area who has an ozone room.  Maybe he will put your rig in the room while it is being used for "un-smoking" garments.  It will not harm your rig.  I am sure it would work better if you try to remove as much nicotine as possible before hand.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »

The smell from tabacco smoke is from the tars which coat everything they come into contact with.  In a hotel room the curtains and other cloth materials such as upholdestry hold the odor.  On hard surfaces such as radios the smell is from the tarry surface coating. I think you will have better results by using a bit of elbow grease and some cleaner (something that will not harm the thing being scrubbed) and rubbing off the tar.  
Ozone is a very strong oxidizer and I would be carefull of its use for such a purpose.  While a low concentration probably won't harm a rig, high concentrations will oxidize paint and many other materials and even etch bare metal.  
In devices with high voltage the smoke particles are attracted to objects which are charged.
Good luck Allen
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:40:07 PM »

Try the simple things first.

Disassemble the box and clean the case inside and out with a rag dampened in slightly soapy water.   Do the same for the cooling air path including the fan blades, grill and heat sinks.   Get whatever else you can easily do inside of the circuit boards, sides of components, wiring etc.

That will probably go a long way to making it bearable.

bill
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:21:30 PM »

I got a used rig once with a smoke odor.  I put the rig outside on my covered screened in deck for a few days with a fan blowing directly on it.  That helped to knock down the smoke odor quite a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: