Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10M Monoband radios  (Read 400 times)
KI4RHG

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »

Hello forum,

I was surfing E-Bay and came accross a 10M mobile, a HTX-100. So I thought I might like to have a 10M in my vehicle as conditions will improve and started looking at them. There seem to be alot of the HTX-100 radios at a decent price so I started to check on what new radios offered. I may not have done much of an in depth search but it seemed that the ones I found, RCI-2950, 2970, Lincoln & a nice little one from Magnum I think it was a 257, but it did not have CW. All of these are on the FCC list of illegal radios. Does this mean it is illegal to buy them for 10M, are they the fake ones meant for 11M and not really functional for amateur radio.  Going by the new price of them I guess I can pick up a used all band for about the same money, but I was just wondering if these were real radios and if there are any 10M mobiles or has everyone gone to the all banders. I am nowhere's near good enough to do CW while driving but one day I will be so CW is a must.

Thanks,
Don, KI4RHG
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:04:59 AM »

The HTX-100 works CW just fine.  I had one for years and it's actually a very good radio -- only drawback is its "tuning" method, which instead of a continuous VFO is a click-tune thing that changes frequencies in kHz increments.  To dial in between those, you use a small rotary fine tuning pot (control) to zero in on stations.

Once you get used to this, it's not so bad.  Not great, but not bad.

That's really its only drawback.  It has a good receiver, a solid transmitter, good audio and semi-QSK CW.  I made lots of CW contacts with it and used the rig all through solar Cycle 22, which peaked in about 1989-1990, from my car.  In fact, during the winter of '89-90, I worked more than 100 countries from the car using the HTX-100 and a 96" whip on a fender ball mount!

Right now, 10m's not so hot.  But in June there should be some E-skip to work, and in another two years it should "warm up" and start to open for F2-layer propagation.

A used HTX-100 isn't worth much, though.  For one thing, they'll never be rare because R/S sold zillions of them.  For another, they weren't expensive even when brand new.  I bought mine "new" in '89 for $199, and they became cheaper after that.

Unlike some of the other and newer 10m rigs, the HTX-100 does NOT work FM, at all, so you'd have to settle for SSB-CW work.

WB2WIK/6
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »

The HTX-100 is a decent little radio for the price.  My dad and I had one in the car for a while when I was in high school.

The other "10 meter radios" you mention are just CB's that cover 10 meters.  Yes, they're legal to use on 10 meters (if the spectral purity is OK and they haven't been diddled with).  I don't know why you would spend $200-$300 on one of those CB's when you could spend $300 on a TS-530S or something.  (Of course, you can't put the TS-530S in your car.)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 01:31:41 PM »

but if you buy a ft 857 you get 2m/ 440 mhz/ 6m/ 10m/12m/15m/17m/20m/30m/40m/60m/80m/160m on cw/ssb/ fm/am/ fsk,

so for about $679 you can get an all band all mode for the car or  be satisfied with the 10 m only rig. I prefer to not limit my self mobile.

And with he ATAS antenna , you get autotuning from 440 mhz to 40 meters, or with other screwdrivers , you get 80 m and I don't find 160 m mobile very effecient.

I like mine quite well. and can be found used for under $500.

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »

Once in a while, I'll scan eBay for xmiters or transceivers.

I always wonder just what people are thinking when the 10 meter gear touts roger beeps, reverb stuff, talk back etc.

I especially like the 10 meter, rig with 500 watts on AM, covering 25Mc to 31Mc.  Course the owners manual says 28Mc-30Mc, and 50 watts AM/FM.
Bob

N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »

The HTX-10s and HTX-100s are fine, for what they are.  They're not to the level of an Icom 8900, or even a Yaesu 857, but they are not intended to be.

They have their imperfections, but for the price, they are great.  I bought an HTX-10 in mint condition for $50 a couple of years ago.  'Can't beat that with a stick.

If you can find one at a good price, go for it.  Don't pay over $100, though.  Or much more, anyway.

Peter, N4LI
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »

You can't beat the HTX-100 for the money.  When conditions are right, you can work some amazing DX with that rig!  I recently heard a rumor that Uniden (and some Chinese manufacturers) is getting into the amateur radio market again and will be producing some other similar small inexpensive mono band and dual band mobile HF rigs, within the 20 thru 80 meter spectrum.  This could get interesting.  
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 07:58:16 PM »

I bought an RCI-2950 several years back at a hamfest table. It was a great ten meter rig, lots of features on it and it was built solid. It did however have a very wide bandspread I believe from around 26 Mhz up to 32 Mhz, someone had obviously been under it's hood unbeknownst to me until after I had it a few days. Were I to buy another 10 meter only rig it would be a new Ranger. I believe that you should look for a multiband rig that gives you a few more options when ten is dead.

Richard
EI4HQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »

Don,

The HTX100 was my first rig, purchased in Florida while I was working /mm out of Fort Lauderdale. Like WB2WIK it served me very well at the peak of cycle 22. The drawbacks are small, but for me the biggest was always that it didn't do FM - for a mobile this was a significant omission in my opinion.

Since 1999 the same HTX 100 has been the heartbeat of EI0TEN, Ireland's 10 metre propagation beacon (28.209MHz). Its been operating 24 x 7 x 365 almost continuously since then, at full output power, without so much as breaking a sweat. The HTX 100 is popular with the beacon crowd as its cheap, cheerful and very reliable.

If you can get one without parting with too much cash - go for it.

Rgds
Cormac EI4HQ
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 08:36:23 PM »

If you get a 10 meter rig you might want to check that it does FM and has the PL built in. You can't work the repeaters without both of those.

10 meters, when the band is hot, is the best low cost mobile setup IMO. You can put a full size quarter wave CB whip on most vehicles and shorten it a tad for the 10 meter band, that is a big plus in matching and radiation pattern. You will have low swr across most of the band and that just makes things so nice.

If you trim material off of a cb antenna make sure you leave the ball on the end of it, it is there to dissapate static electricity and you will generate lots of it driving at highway speeds.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: