Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ts-430s clicking in recieve  (Read 221 times)
KE5JJK

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2007, 10:33:04 PM »

I'm not an electronics person, and only got my general today. Using my ts-430s I made a few good dx contacts, and was moving around the bands.  I went to check SWR on 21.3 and when I released the key, there was a pronounced clicking in the recieve.  All bands have it, though it's stronger the closer you tune to 21.3  Couldn't make any more contacts to get an audio report, but I suspect it's fine.
Any suggestions?  I'm thinking one of the relays is stuck.
thanks! JimD
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 05:11:43 AM »

Offhand, either on air or bench checks of good rx/tx are the first steps.  Relays on the older radios can certainly be quite noticeable.  You don't mention whether you have had this radio for a while and are familiar with its operation.   After that would be to take the cover off and try to get your ear close to each relay while cycling the key.  Safety precautions observed, of course. Don't reach or lean across the finals, keep one hand in your pocket.  Better if you have a helper to key for you.

Good luck, and congratulations on the new ticket!  See you on the air.

73,  Bill

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:52:06 AM »

A little more info would help. In some cases, RF ingress can cause the VOX circuitry to trip off and on, but this sounds more like an external problem to me. Are the relays clicking, or is this coming from the speaker?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE5JJK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:23:09 AM »

Yes I should have given more details.  Only had the radio a few days.  Passed general yesterday morning, so it was the 1st time I was transmitting.  Worked very well for the 4 hours I was using it, with total transmit time of maybe 10 minutes.
Clicking is at about 60/minute, and coming from the speaker.
I should also mention that the ground was not hooked up as I thought it was.  Could an open ground have caused the problem?

Thanks very much for the help!
KE5JJK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »

As of this morning everything seems fine.  Must be an environmental issue.  Since I'm using an attic loop, I'll have to add things 1 at a time and see if it comes back.
KE5OKT/AG!
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »

If you mean the ground side of your power lead that could indeed be the problem
Glen WT0A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: