Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Same callsign texting to their vehicle miles away  (Read 677 times)
NOMDEPLUME

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:04:23 PM »

There is a tech here that is on APRS.  Callsign KG6WIV.  He has KG6WIV-7 for a pickup and KG6WIV-2 for, I assume his base.  I have noticed that -7 and -2 are texting each other and APRS shows the pickup miles away at that time.

Is this legal?

I would think that as a control operator he should be present even in digital modes.

KD4ANG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:25:27 PM »

The mobile may have sent the last coordinates before he arrived at the base sometimes it is better to not beacon frequently and that may be the reason for the 2 calls, also is he setup as a digi possibly for the base?

Just some thoughts.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »

Assuming that the license holder is either in the mobile or at the base, he cannot be the control operator of the other station.  

That begets the question: Who is operating (i.e. sending text) from the other unit?  

If it is not a licensed ham, then it is definitely illegal because there is not control a operator with that person.

However, if it is a licensed ham, since that ham's call is not being sent and he is the defacto control operator, is this a legal situation???

Dennis KG4RUL
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 02:04:16 PM »

All that has to be done to make it legal is the ham who is at the base adds their call in the message text every 10 minutes. Folks in our club shack do that regularly.

Also, he could have been sending query messages to his home station. Those are messages that make the other station send it's status, locations, stations heard direct, etc. There are endless querys for APRS stations, and they can look like a message.
NOMDEPLUME

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 08:56:24 AM »

Please disregard this thread.

My name is Dick Richards and I am NOT a ham.  I have been chastized on another thread in this forum for hiding behind NOMDEPLUME, which means "pen name" in French(I think).

I have been studying for the exam.  I live in Modesto and while trying to uncover some information on this mans call above, I came across a group of messages from an APRS server and started to question them.

I started this in conjunction with another thread while helping a friends wife.  My friend is a Silent Key and his wife is not computer savay.

Anyway, I will not continue with this thread.  

I am even begining to question whether or not I should even study anymore for the exam.

Eham has not been a positive experience for me.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 03:55:41 PM »

Dick:

I'm the one who posted to your thread in the other forum and the reason I did so is because you have started  threads on two different forums making allegations of illegal or improper conduct against the same person, all the while hiding behind a cloak of anonymity. I don't know whether the person is gulity of anything or not, but it looks real bad to throw stones at people on a public forum without being willing to identify yourself. This is also not a place for what could be construed as a personal vendetta.

That being said, let me make a couple of observations:

- People who post without a real name or call sign don't get nearly the respect that posters who use real names do.

- You say this has been a bad experience for you. Why? You have received polite responses to both your original postings, including my responses. Where's the "bad" in that?

- You say you are reconsidering studying for a ham license. What does posting on eHam have to do with getting a ham license? A web site, such as eHam is NOT amateur radio. Its only connection to amateur radio is as a source of information. Amateur radio is two or more people having a conversation with each other via radio, not posting to a web site or a couputer bulletin board.

I urge you to continue to study for your license.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KC8YXA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 12:53:26 PM »

Mr.Dick Richards
any help you need to get setup for you test I wouldbe glad to help
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »

It is ONLY necessary to append the
ops callsign to the station callsign
when the op is of higher class than
the station owner AND the op is operating
the station in excess of the station
licensee's privledges.  In which
case, for example, if I were operating
my XYL's station (General) and I was
using my Amateur Extra Class priviledges
then I would ID KB4EXL/WA4MJF otherwise
just KB4EXL.

So the whole thing could easily have been
quite proper.

BTW, that is same-same for a club station,
which almost always has an AEC trustee, so
that only the club station callsign need be
given.

73 de Ronnie
KG6WIV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 08:02:03 PM »

My name is bradley smith, i am the gentlemen whom he is speaking of, althoguh i don't care for his way of doing things just shows he doesn't know much, i use aprs and i use uiview so i query myself quite often if you had a problem you should contact your local FCC and consider being a niver person, slander my name some more, you don't have a call you don't have anything but jamming capabilities. have a gr-e-e-at day MR. Richards..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: