Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham friends won't pay me for services rendered  (Read 1289 times)
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 07:44:03 AM »

This is why people have lawyers.

Hire a lawyer

73  W9OY
W8KQE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 08:06:56 AM »

Tell them you personally know Tony Soprano and Paulie Walnuts!

; )
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 09:18:15 AM »

"Most hams are CHEAP"

there's a difference between being cheap and being a theif

73  W9OY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 10:36:37 AM »

He isn't fixing ham rigs, he's doing landscaping service. I don't know of any way to hold the landscaping until they pay :-) I think in that industry it is common practice to do the work before you get paid. If its only a few hundred dollars you'll probably have to write it off and put them on your list of people not to do future work for.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 11:07:39 AM »

Might be too late now in this instance, but when expecting to be paid for services rendered, there should always be a written quotation or scope of work with a price stipulated on it, signed and dated by not only the provider (you) but by the customer agreeing to have the work done.

"Verbal" agreements don't hold up well anywhere, especially in court.  Written and signed ones do.

In landscaping, at least in my experience, it's common for the customer to pay for anything that needs to be purchased (plants, shrubs, flowers, fertilizer, seeds, sod, etc) up front and then pay the labor after the work is completed.

At least, that's what I always offer and the people doing the work have always requested.

WB2WIK/6
SSB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 11:42:12 AM »

There is a very easy way to stick it to these deadbeats but you won't personally get much.  Go to a lawyer and tell him that you will sell your receivables for $1 to him if he will sue and garnish the money from them.  If its for about $500 to $1000, most lawyers will bite.  Make it clear to your ex-friends that you instigated the process and your lawyer will do everything to embarrass and stick it to them to the fullest extent.  Be horribly nasty.  They might learn something.

Alex.....
KD8Z

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 09:56:58 PM »

Coincidentally, we just had a fairly extensive landscaping job completed here yesterday (Fri.) paid nothing upfront, first rate quality work and material, the landscaper never takes anything upfront and has been in the business here for 22 years.  The landscaper has nothing but an agreement, there is no contract except a projected cost and a pledge that it will come in less than this estimate which only he signed. A four person crew completed in 2 days and 90 degree plus heat, dedication and honesty is not dead, you may need to shop around for it sometimes.

If you did the work you promised at the price you estimated, then you should get paid!!  Get a lawyer!  
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 10:01:37 PM »

Can't a landscaper put a mechanics lien on the property if he is not paid?
KI4HLB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 05:56:14 AM »

HMMM,

Why is this question in the Elmers forum?

I don't want to start a flame rant but really.....
KI4DCR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 09:41:11 AM »

What forum would you suggest in be in, sir?
KI4DCR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 09:43:02 AM »

I appreciate all the responses & have taken the recommend actions, thanks again to everyone for all the great responses!
KE5JKC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »

I have gotten a lot of assistance since getting my tech 9 months ago. I've always tried to show my appreciation to my elmer...gifts certificates fom AES or HRO work nice.

No money changes hands and the Elmer gets some new "toys" that he doesn't have to justify with the XYL.

Seems like I read some where that it was against the "spirit" of Ham radio to charge a fellow ham...but I probably have it wrong...as far as I'm concerned anything my elmer needs...parts or help on some other project all He has to do is say so.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 01:07:51 PM »

I suspect Judge Judy Smiley would say that you made a poor business decision.

The fact your "customer" was a ham in this particular case has little to do with anything.

As a business you have a responsibility to spell out any payment arrangements in advance and upfront for the services you were providing to a "customer."

Did you have them sign a contract prior to the work you performed? The way transactions work in this country is by "signing" an agreement.  

If not, then it's just a poor business decision and it could be argued that you didn't perform the work as agreed and this is the reson you did not recieve payment.

You see? Nothing was spelled out on paper so you basically have no arguement except for your word against his for the work performed.

I would chalk it up as a loss and an important lesson for any future work performed for individuals (hams or otherwise) conducted by your place of "business."

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »

Don't give the rig back until you get your money.
AI2IA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »

Make and use a plan for your Elmer activities. My belief is that ham radio ends when "payments" to other hams begin - that's what we call "business."
I do this: As an Elmer I either volunteer my help and give free extra parts or things I don't need, or I don't participate in the project. If someone wants to purchase items and ask for my help, I will help. Be careful. If someone buys parts or kits and while you help, they ruin their own project, they can sometimes blame you.
Good is never done except at the expense of those who do it - sad, but true.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: