Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is this antenna?  (Read 267 times)
W9HAU

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2007, 11:56:12 AM »

Any idea what this antenna is?  http://www.slocums.net/antenna

Click on the images to enlarge them.

Thanks
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 12:20:36 PM »

it bears a strong resembelance to a hustler 5BTV looks like a prototype or something.

looks like you could clean itup, and ground mount it on a short piece of pipe and stick on some radials. check it wih an antenna analyzer to find its cut freq's
WB7ULD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 01:04:09 PM »

The traps look like the ones that were on a Hy-Gain 18-AVT that my dad bought me in the early 70's
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 02:59:01 PM »

It is a Hustler 4-BTV, without the top hat radials.

http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_hf_4_band.html

Manual here:  http://www.radioscanner.ru/files/download/file1559/4btv.pdf

I have a 5BTV from 1978 which is identical with added 80M top section.   Its a good antenna, had it up over 20 years.

They added the top hat sometime in the 90's I think.   You can buy replacement covers for the traps from Newtronics, and probably a new top hat too.   You do want new covers to keep out moisture, bugs, dirt to avoid detuning and arcing over.

Set it up per dimensions, then if it requires tuning start at bottom section (10M) and work your way up.

Good luck!  bill.

WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 06:58:57 PM »

I had a Hustler 4BTV in the 1970s and it DID HAVE the capacitive top hat on it. But it did not use the type of element clamps present on the one in the picture. If it's a 4BTV, it would have to be older than the 1970s.  
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »

I've had a number of Hustler 4, 5 and 6BTV's over the years.  Your mounting bracket looks a lot like the typical Hustler bracket, but to the best of my knowledge the base of the Hustler verticals all used solder lugs, not the SO-239 shown in the photo.  Also, none of my traps were swaggered or tapered to the extent shown in the photos.  And, as another poster has stated, none of my Hustler antennas had the type of trap clamps shown in your photos.

Just my 2 cents.

Terry, WØFM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 01:49:55 PM »

I'd say it's not a Hustler, either.

I also have had many of the Hustler BTV verticals, and still have a 6BTV up even today...none of them had an SO-239 connector (they just use screw terminal attachments under the base) and the traps do look different.

Could be an old Hy-Gain AVQ family vertical (those do have SO-239 connectors) or possibly even a Wilson vertical -- which haven't been made since the 1970s.

In any case, it looks old, rusted and a bit beat up, so for me, it would be "scrap aluminum!"

WB2WIK/6
XY3LON4

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 02:47:06 PM »

It's a really long antenna.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »

I stand corrected.  I agree it is a Hy-Gain AVT series.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: