Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: transmitting citizen weather report  (Read 1029 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2006, 08:14:11 AM »

2 questions:

1) I found a CW (citizen weather) reporting station near my QTH listed on findu.com. I'm guessing it is being passed to the APRS-IS servers. Is it possible for me to retransmit this data over the air via my local igate? AFAIK, this is not a HAM
2) would this be considered 3rd party traffic, and subject to any issues related to said traffic?

I'm mostly interested because I live in an interesting weather area, and don't really have a good spot to put up a weather station (too much sun on my antenna masts). Since this station seems to  be reliable and consistant, I'd like to just use it instead.

Eric
CLEBOT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »

Eric,

I'm not sure what kind of weather station you are using.  I have had a Davis Weather Monitor II and Weather Wizard III for about 6 years and they have worked superbly.  For my temperature sensor (which was in direct sunlight), I used the Davis AC powered Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shelter.  My reading tracked right along with the NWS.  Even if you are not using a Davis station, you can still use a radiation shield and it will take care of the direct sunlight problem you mention.  Since I use Davis stations, I am really only familiar with their website.  They have a fantastic comparison on radiation shelters and the different types that are available.
Good luck!

Gerrit
KE5HVM
KC5SAS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 01:36:05 PM »

First, I'd wonder what the guy who ownes the station would think.  Just because he signed up for the CW program and his info is shared with the APRS network doesn't necessarily mean he would want a nearby ham broadcasting it.  
Second, The whole point of having weather stations transmitting on APRS is to show the weather for a specific area. If you are simply gonna pirate/mirror the info from a Citizen Weather Program volunteer what good you are doing? That info is already being made available.
Put up your own weather station if you want to transmit that sort of data.  It will be much more relevant.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 06:30:07 PM »

KC5SAS Wrote: " If you are simply gonna pirate/mirror the info from a Citizen Weather Program volunteer what good you are doing?"

See, this is exactly why I got into ham radio. To get venom spewed at me when I ask a simple question.

Thanks for the help.
KC5SAS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 02:39:45 PM »

Dude, relax.  No venom was involved.  I'm just pointing out that the idea of having multiple weather stations scattered about is to give an accurate picture of what is happening in a region.  The CW station is nearby but, 1-it's info is already being fed into the database and 2-wind, temp and rain mesurements can be slightly different at your location as compared to the CW station.  So instead of duplicating the info you would better serve the system putting up your own unique station even if it is not in the best of locations.  I'm always amazed when I fire up Ui-View how many CW weather stations are out there. It's great that citizens are participating in the CW program.  It's also great how hams have added thier own stations to the APRS network.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 05:43:34 AM »

Sorry, just a little uptight last week (vacations with family can do that sometimes)....

Anyway, I'm not really interested in feeding data to the APRS-IS servers, but transmitting data to the local airwaves. For one thing, it would be handy to know the general wind direction when I'm on my bicycle, or the tempature when on a hike, etc. I don't always have access to a cell phone web browser in these cases, and besides, it usually takes several clicks to get to that data (which is gathered about 50 miles away) with Verizon's lousy web browser -not very easy when pedaling a bike into a 20MPH wind. Receiving the data from my station automatically would be far superior. And besides, if all I wanted to do was send position info to the APRS-IS, I could have saved a few bucks and kept my TinyTrak-III instead of getting a D700. Just trying to get more use out of all this stuff.

However, I don't really have the funds to set up a weather station at this time (down the road I may get one of those Dallas Semiconductor 1 wire sytems from TAPR), and it is yet another thing to maintain on the end of a pole. The weather station I'm looking at is just up the road from me, and most likely gives a more realistic reading than I would get from my QTH(I'm at -450' HAAT, the other site is more like 0' HAAT).

And no, knowing the wind speed won't make it any easier to ride into, but at least I'll have a good excuse. Smiley
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 04:31:34 AM »

Go ahead and retransmit the data.  It is MUCH better to find this on the airwaves as opposed to the multitude of stations that identify as weather stations and have no actual data to offer because their weather monitoring equipment is not working or no longer exists.  

This falls in the same category as fixed APRS stations that broadcast their position every few minutes.  What do they expect, a massive earthquake or landslide will move their house and they will need the coordinates to find it again??

Dennis KG4RUL
KC5SAS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 04:55:02 PM »

My only problem was when he stated that it was a station which was nearby, not his own.  I've had a few, shall we say Negative, experiances with hams who have checked into past SKYWARN nets.  You may have heard the type.  When Net Control acknoledges them and asks if they have a report they come back with something like "Well, let me check the TV here.  Yep, according to the weather channel it's raining and 64 degrees at the airport in town."  Ooooookkkkkkkeeeyyyy.   What the Frack good does that do us if you are giving a report you got off the TV from a weather station at an Airport 10 miles away? The whole idea is to get real time reports accurate from where you are at not from a remote station across town.
Plus as I mentioned in an earlier post, while it might be a benefit to send out weather data over RF, it is already being streamed by the person who signed up for the CWO program into the APRS server database and can be read by anyone with internet capability at sites such as  http://www.aprsfl.net/javaprs.html .
I run Ui-View connected to a server here at home and already see the CWO stations appear on my map.  If every hams decided to duplicate a nearby CWO station they would just clutter up the screen with redundant information which may or not be applicable to their particular location. It's almost as bad as the Weather Watch nerds who insist on placing Weather Watch symbols with "No ACTIVATION EXPECTED" messages all over the screen. WTF is up with that?  
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 07:45:01 PM »

KC5SAS Wrote: "CWO program into the APRS server database and can be read by anyone with internet capability at sites such as http://www.aprsfl.net/javaprs.html"

Which is great when I'm at home, near my PC. Ever try carrying a PC along when on a bicycle? How am I suposed to connect to the internet to get the APRS-IS server data? Cellphone at 128Kbps, charged by the minute? Running netstumbler and hoping to find an open access point (I'm sure there are plenty of them in the National Forest I regularly ride in)?

And I had no intention of transmitting this guys' weather data with my position. I really doubt that is possible, anyway. As for comparing me to the skywarn guy watching the weather channel, well, I can't believe you are comparing my wanting to retransmit a weather report that currently exists only on the Internet over the local aloha circle of my base station. I don't intend this to be used by people who are located near an internet connection, sitting at their computers. This would be used for hikers, bikers and other people who are outdoors and may need to get some idea of what the local conditions are. Not all of us sit at our PCs all day.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 10:44:57 PM »

"The whole idea is to get real time reports accurate from where you are at not from a remote station across town."

At the same time, if you are getting reports from a station one mile or half a mile away, the weather isn't going to be any different where you're at.  The city I live in is only about 1 1/2 miles across from edge to edge.  To put up your own station so close to another one would be redundant and a waste of resources.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: