Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New D700/APRS user, ready to get started... GPS Q!  (Read 592 times)
VE3ECMW2

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the D700 (picked up a used one last week), and brand new to APRS. Wanted to get involved with APRS, figured the D700 would be the most painless to start.

I want to get a GPS for this unit.

I like the look of the Garmin GPS18/35 pucks, they're small, and I can mount it to the roof so people think it's just a satellite antenna.

I've read that neither of those output in NMEA, so they're useless for the D700?

I want something that I can stick in my trunk with the radio, so it needs to be hardwired to the battery, and needs an external antenna.

Suggestions? Help?
Thanks!
Richard
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:50:44 PM »

You may want to try the GPS 18 OEM:

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem/index.jsp

The nice thing about it is that it has a bare wire cable. That way you just have to put the mini plug on for the data and wire up a power supply (the 18 PC must have a sigarette adaptor on the end).

However, you may want to get a full blown GPS with a display, maps, etc. For one thing, it is a lot more useful as a general navagation aid. And, the D700 sends NMEA waypoint data back to the GPS for display. I've been in situations where I see a station pop up on my map and look around for the antennas. Great fun.

I've been using a th-d7 and a tm-d700 for a few years now, and overall think they are a very good design for mobile aprs use. I've considered a puck type gps for my d7, but for the reasons listed above, I thought it better to go with a display-type GPSR. The cost differences are minimal these days. However, Garmin only has one cable type that is available in bare ends, the round 4 pin connector. I think this is because it is designed for recievers that can take 12Vdc, so they figure people won't be frying their equipment. I've modified several cables for my Vista and Foretrex 201 and haven't had any issues. My Vista sits on the dashboard, wedged in under the windshield and it maintains a lock all the time, if that is a concern going with the puck mounted outside.
VE3ECMW2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 05:58:53 AM »

Hey, thanks for all the advice... I ended up doing something close to what you described, but not quite.

I found a GPS35 serial on fleabay at a very reasonable price. So when it arrives, making a proper cable should be a piece of cake. That will hook into my D700.

For navigation, I already use a small mobile PC hooked up to a USB DeLorme Earthmate on my dash. That allows me to have a large navigation screen and lets me plug it into my stereo to play music.

Now all I have to do is wait for the GPS to come, program the radio, and I'll be on the air!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: