Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond V2000A antenna  (Read 203 times)
K4JC

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »

In trying to assemble a Diamond V2000A antenna the instructions show the elements within the two fiberglass sections connecting together with a set screw. The element in the top section of my antenna is WAY up inside! First of all does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get to it (it's probably 6" up in there), and second will I do any damage by pulling the element down far enough to connect to the bottom element?
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 02:52:11 PM »

I used a monofilament  "catch loop," a piece of a soda straw or small tubing with a doubled length of fish line through it. Catch the loop around the brass sleeve, pull the line tight, and pull the assembly down. And no, you should not hurt anything pulling the connector out. After all, that's the only practical way to connect the upper to the lower sections.

73 Pete Allen  AC5E
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »

pulling it out to where you can make the connection shouldn't huer anything. The trick is hoh to get it out there, Can you tap the end of the section on a piiece of wood or something and get any results?
Glen
N9GQR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »

I bought one recently and I had to shake the element inside down so I could hook it up with the other.  It's kind of confusing at first when they don't really give you any idea on assembling. I believe my Diamond Dual Bander is a 200 though.  Good Luck
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 03:35:26 PM »

The element is pushed through some antivibration / antirattle chunks of foam. You can pull it down without any damage. It's just a friction fit.

Great antenna.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 08:03:16 PM »

Thanks for all the replies! I also had a mechanic friend suggest using one of those "grab tools", with a small claw on the end for picking up dropped screws and the like. It should be small enough to fit inside the fiberglass tube and snag the end of the element. I'm going to try that tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: