Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Axiom Sandpiper II GPS Engine  (Read 1189 times)
N5NA

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »

I just purchased an Axiom Sandpiper II GPS Engine off of eBay ($25 with shipping).  I am still waiting on it to arrive but it is supposed have RS-232 output, NMEA-0183, etc.  It looks like it should be perfect for APRS.

Has anyone used this engine and if so any comments or hints on getting it going?

Alan  N5NA
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 02:24:34 PM »

Guess I'll answer my own question!

It works great!  The only difficult part was building up a plug to fit on the 20 pin connector on the GPS board.  As was advertised I was able to connect the output directly to the computer and TinyTrak3 without any need for a level converter.

I used a DB9 female on the GPS so I am able to plug a TinyTrak3 directly into it.

If anyone needs an inexpensive GPS engine this one seems to fit the bill.

WJ4VA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 12:08:07 PM »

Good to hear! I just purchased the same one off of Ebay.  How did you end up making the plug for it?  I was planning on just soldering wires to the pins on the board and then running the wires to a DB9 connector
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 12:51:06 PM »

I found a 20 pin connector at Mouser.  Just go to www.mouser.com.

The connector is part number 538-511102050.  The sockets that go into the connector are PN 538-50394-8100.  Be sure to order some extras as I messed up a couple when I was attaching the wire.

I just soldered the wire to the sockets.  They are crimp on but I don't have a crimper.  You'll need to snip off the strain relief part of the socket so they will fit into the connector.

Just be sure when you wire it up you note the pin numbers are from the component side but the connector is on the bottom of the board so all the pin numbers are backassward.  If you email me at n5na@arrl.net I can send you a drawing I made up of the connector from the bottom of the board that makes it a lot easier to keep the pin numbers straight.

Alan  N5NA
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 01:47:29 PM »

I've had quite a few hams email me requesting the pin out drawing I mentioned in the previous post.  To make it easy here is a place you can download it from:

http://www.n5na.net/download/axiom_pin_out.pdf

Alan N5NA
VA3RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 03:48:32 PM »

Does anyone know if a TTL-output GPS like the Axiom will work as-is with a TH-D7A?

I bought two Holux SIRF 1 GPS engines off of fleabay (for 14 bucks!!) and it works great with my TinyTrack.  These are very similar to the Axiom Sandpiper.

I was going to wire up the 2nd unit with a 2.5 mm stereo plug for my chum's TH-D7A, but I was wondering if the D7A would work with a TTL output, or do I need to include an inverter?

tnx de va3rr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: