Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm done.  (Read 563 times)
W6NZX

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »

Asking the same question multiple times?  Seem like dumb questions?  I have short term memory problems it's called a face plant off of a motorcycle into a tree.

Most of you have been very helpfull but their's to many jack-asses around here for me.  I'm going to email the webmaster have my account deleted.

--
73'  Slàinte Mhath
Rob Findlay Jr. KE7MBU
--
Ham Radio: http://W6NZX.us
Blog: http://robfindlay.org
Pics: http://flickr.com/photos/32162739@N00/
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 02:49:33 PM »

Rob don't get so emotional.  You really do need to chill out and think about what you really want to do and quit trying to do it all at once.  There's plenty of time.  Get those books you've ordered and read them and then ask away; I'm sure you'll have more questions.  

As you can see, learning via eHam isn't the best way and hands on is best as well as live in person with that new club you've joined.  You'll do fine.  CU in the pileups some day.

Phil
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 02:51:28 PM »

Oh, and also, via Groucho,

" I once shot an elephant in my pajamas.  

What he was doing in my pajamas, I'll never know!"
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »

and...

While shooting elephants in Africa, we found the tusks very difficult to remove. Of course, in Alabama the Tusk-a-loosa!
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 05:06:35 PM »

Bob, there's jack-arses everywhere.  This place is no exception.  You can't escape them and you just can't shoot them.  Perhaps prozac might help.  I don't know.

Just keep having fun and let the arses suffocate themselves with their hatred.
SQ4IXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 05:43:06 PM »

> Perhaps prozac might help. I don't know.

You mean prozac for him, for jack-asses or both?

73 de SQ4IXW
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 06:17:06 PM »

Rob, hang in there.  Philosophy follows:

First, a little perspective. There's a high sensitivity on these forums to unmotivated folks who want answers to questions they can't even formulate well, and they won't do any homework because they want those answers right now & firmly believe it is owed to them.  When those folks get chided for their tomfoolery, they blow up and threaten to go away.

I hope you are still with me, because I definitely do not place you in that category. More about that later, so don't stop now.

Most of the regulars here can easily detect a person like I just described.   Usually, they will just remain silent, but even if they attempt to post a reasonable reply, the  jeering critics seem to get there first.  If the original poster gets miffed & threatens to quit, even the most reasonable might think,  "Don't let the doorknob . . . ", but most of them wouldn't post that thought.   As in any group, though, you will find a few who shoot from the hip without first reading carefully or considering that they may have misunderstood the situation.  All too often, one of those two conditions do apply.  Regardless, those critical replies are perceived as personal attacks, which leads to retaliation, which only leads to more of the same.  Get the picture?

I have tracked along with your postings and understand pretty well what you intend with the call sign stuff.  Good for you.  I have read most of the questions you have posted, and understand that you are trying to overcome a lack of knowledge & experience in this hobby.  BTW, hooray for getting those books on order.

Your interest, curiosity, and apparent persistence in spite of awkwardness (and heckling) are all reminders to me that nearly 50 years ago, I didn't know squat about electronics or ham radio either. (I can't claim to know a heckuva lot even now, as my professional training in electronics ended in the early 70's when I was still working on some air force equipment that used vacuum tubes instead of transistors.) The advantage I had, as a kid trying to learn ham radio, was personal association with a couple of technically savvy hams who took me under their wings, shrugged off the ignorance of some of my questions & off-the wall ideas, and somehow taught me enough to avoid fatal errors and get a ham ticket. All the non-fatal errors over the years taught me to recognize a mistake immediately after making it the second time. Eventually, I even learned that when I didn't know enough to understand the book, then that was the time to stop & ask someone who already knows the answer.

Rob, once again, hang in there.  DLTBWYD.  Before you know it, you'll be like some of the other new hams who have gained enough experience to read a posting and think with amazement, "What a boneheaded question that is!"  But, if they remember their own awkward beginnings, they will not write that thought.  Instead, they will sit back and read the answers (mentally filtering out the immature jeering) and learn a little bit more from the knowledgeable old timers.  Sometimes, they are even surprised to discover they already know the right answer and can get it posted before the old timers get around to it . . . maybe even before the critics totally turn off the guy who had the question.  When you reach that point, Rob, I guarantee you it will feel pretty good.  Then, you'll be glad you stuck around.  You may even join me in saying thanks to those astute regulars who are giving their time to these forums, just looking for the chance to be helpful.  Now, get away from the computer and go play with the radios.  73

Gary, K9ZMD
Palmdale, CA  
VK2XDZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 06:43:43 PM »

Rob,
read most of your threads,and I could not see any replies that I would find offensive.
Yes,a couple were rather direct,but you get that on all types of forums.
Reckon you need a thicker skin mate,and if someone says something you don't agree with,don't worry about it.
Reckon that eham is the best source of information on the  net,and to leave it would be a shame.
Pete vk2xdz
W6NZX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 07:05:18 PM »

Thanks Gary,

There is a real emotional componet to this.  The old-man should have been my Elmer.  I keep thinkin why the hell isn't he here to teach me this. Why didnt he teach me this stuff when i was 10.

I did learn alot on a superficial level, and he would answer direct questions.  

When I asked him once to teach me the hobby he threw a Morse code book at me and said learn this. Didnt sit me down and teach me the basics just left a child alone, while an emotionally-distant father sat alone in his hamshack ignoring his wife and children.

My mom told me once that he told her, that he didn't think i was "smart enough."  Nevermind I had a college reading level in Jr High.

Thats why i avoided the hobby for so long was because of him and the emotions it brings back.  Now i've made my peace with him.

This memorial day i'm going to leave a QSL with my name on it from me to him at his grave.

If the webmaster goes ahead and deletes my account like I asked him thats fine. I need the time to read: Wirless Antenna Classics, Understanding Basic Electronics. the ARRL operating manual, and the 2007 handbook. I'm going to wait for the new version of the BIG antenna book.  I might even buy electronics for dummies, those books can be great refreshers.

So long story short the reason i'm a pain in the ass is because of Bob Findlay Sr i can tell you where he's buried if you want to piss on his grave.  Just kidding I dont hate him that much.

It sucks to be Scottish his dad was so cold and distant.

--
73'  Slàinte Mhath
Rob Findlay Jr. KE7MBU
--
Ham Radio: http://W6NZX.us
Blog: http://robfindlay.org
Pics: http://flickr.com/photos/32162739@N00/
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »

The only advice I can offer up is that while it's important to understand radio theory, read books and improve your operating skills, sometimes we are supposed to just have plain old fun.

Well, I hope you do come back someday. I am betting that when you do, that you will probobly be doing some of the elmering around here.

Here's a --... ...-- for you.

Good luck Rob.

Charles - KC8VWM

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 10:11:49 PM »

Rob,
I hope you don't leave.  Don't give the jerks the satisfaction.

Remember this is a hobby, that's meant to be fun.  Take it at a pace that keeps it enjoyable and interesting.

73, Bill
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 03:21:35 AM »

Rob,

No one is perfect and meets all the needs and expectations of others. No one needing support of others is perfect either.

The key is we have to do as much as we can to help ourself and not get pissed off at the world because everyone in it won't help us learn what we can easily learn on our own by reading. The things to ask are things we tried to read and learn but can't understand.

73 Tom
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 07:39:56 AM »

Ba'bye

N6DRA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »

I have to admit that on the few occasions I had run ins with your dad, he was a bit caustic.  Definitely not the Elmering type.  As I recall he really seemed to like being an "Official Observer" and it didn't take much to set him off.  I think the only "OO" card I ever received came from him, and it wasn't even about me.

Maybe it was too many years of the Motorola mentality...

Hang in there and stick around!

'73

Tim
KB5DPE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 02:41:17 PM »

"Ba'bye"

As my wife observed some 43 years ago; "a ham is nothing but a pig's salty hindquarters".  Some hams, particularly on this site, seem to go out of their way to prove that she was truly a visionary.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: