Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating in a public park - permit required?  (Read 897 times)
W0VLL

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2007, 04:34:30 AM »

I want to practice for field day and erect a temporary antenna (dipole plus a painters expandable pole as a mast) in a public park.

Have any of you been hassled by the police or other people? Did you get a permit first?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:02:45 AM »

The simple way to do this is pay a visit to the police department and ask.  You will be referred to the proper city/town department to get the needed permit if one is needed.  If the city/town doesn't allow it. you can find out there, too.

Asking first is always better than finding out later--and having to pay a fine to find out!
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 05:05:26 AM »

Laws and ordinaces vary from place to place.  Most folks who stage field day exercises in public places get permission to preclude any problems.  Why not check with local authorities about operating in a park?  Remember there are always children in parks and they are always curious and get into everything.  You wouldn't want an antenna to fall on one and injure
him/her, would you?  
Have a great outing, a safe outing.
Allen
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 07:37:23 AM »

I might be reading too much into the "I WANT TO ..."  Do you actually mean YOU by yourself ? or as a group?  You will find that you cannot be everywhere at once. You can't babysit the end poles, the main mast, the generator, the radio desk, to keep troublesome teenagers / adults at bay, then, answer questions from the curious, and still expect to have time to actually operate the radios.  Secondly if you DO decide to do this, you will have to have ALL safety issues covered... Warning flags / tape / cones... highly visible warnings tied to guy lines, trip hazard warning on lines on the ground... If someone (public) trips and twists their ankle or bumps their head on a guy line, there's trouble.The City is not going to cover that with their insurance... and I don't think your homeowner's insurance will cover you - since you are not at home.
Now if you have even so much as ONE other person (adult)to ride herd on things, then secure the proper permission and go for it. Just be SURE the city KNOWS who you are, and what you are doing, TIMES as to when you set up / tear down, etc.  OH, since you may be planning to doing this on a weekend...when most city offices are CLOSED... here's a tip. HAVE PERMISSION IN WRITING from the city parks dept.  KEEP IT WITH YOU.  You will need it to show the policeman when he tries to send you packing...  It is a "given" that city departments do not talk and share information too well due to shift changes, weekends, etc. - so be prepared to prove you have permission to be there.

Good luck... if all your ducks are in a row, it can be a real fun time.. I wish you the best.
CAM
KV6O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 08:12:11 AM »

As most public parks close at dusk (or some time in the evening), to run field day thru the night you will probably need a permit to do so.  We always kept ours handy and would have to show it to someone on duty at 3am wondering what the heck we were doing!

Steve
KV6O
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 08:15:03 AM »

In most of the places that I've lived, the city, county, or state Parks Dept. has had a policy of allowing one to reserve a picnic pavilion or similar area for an event.  You might try that approach.
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 08:17:34 AM »

In fact, we used to reseve such an area for our local club's Field Day.  The reservation allowed us to be in the park after the normal closing hours.  This year, we'll be operating from one of the county EOCs.
W0VLL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 08:19:36 AM »

Gee, I'm starting to get cold feet. It's just me, not a group of people.

I wonder if the Buddipole guys ever get hassled?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 08:45:49 AM »

No reason to get cold feet.  Just find out if a permit is needed and apply for it.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »

I'd simply ask, also.

Here where I live (L.A.) you don't need a permit for this at any city park or beach area, and they all close *waaaay* after dark -- some don't ever "close," such as the beaches.

However, the park facilities such as picnic tables, barbecues and stuff are all "first come, first served," so if you want to be sure of actually getting one you might have to show up early in the morning and stake it out.

WB2WIK/6
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 09:50:35 AM »

You really want to check this out.  I found out that in my town it is illegal to ride a bicycle in a city park.

I thought that was what parks were for.

73, JP, K8AG
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 10:11:34 AM »

Another reason why I live in L.A.

In public parks you can do anything you want except deal  drugs, and then I think it's okay if you know the Sherriff personally.

Bicyclists, roller bladers and skateboarders make up the majority of traffic in our parks and have right-of-way 100% of the time.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 10:32:36 AM »

I wouldn't worry about permits or laws.  Simply invite Paris Hilton along for your Field Day adventure.  Then, if you got into trouble, she could arrange to get you off the hook.  Shocked)

Terry, WØFM

(Sorry....couldn't help it)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 10:44:54 AM »

"That's hot!"

(Paris' comment after grabbing my FD antenna while I'm transmitting.)

:-)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 11:05:24 AM »

A portable vertical like the MP-1 might be less hassle and a bit less obtrusive.  

With tripod mount or 817 radio side mount.  

http://www.superantennas.com/___Products/MP-1_Portable/mp-1_portable.html

100 bux for the antenna, about another 30 for one of the bases, tripod or radio side mount.  

Added advantage, it is frequency agile.  

Toss in another $30 for the 80 meter coil.  

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: