Heathkit SB-610 vs Sb-614 monitor scopes question

(1/1)

Dave Plowman:
I am interested in purchasing one of these scopes but don't know what the differences are.
I believe the 614 has a pcb vs hard wired in the 610.
Any info on the differences, likes, dislikes etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave W4PBU

Allen C. Ward:
First all Heath monitor scopes are at least 20 years old and most are 30 or 40.  The 610 is hard wired and uses tubes, the 614 has circuit boards and is transistorized, the 620 is hard wired and tubed. The 614 will not monitor the IF of your receiver (panoramic display).  The other two will allow for monitoring the IF is you have 50-150 Hz, 455, 1000, 1600-1680,2075-2475,3000,3055,3395,5000-6000 kHz.  This is for the older Heathkits and doesn't include most of the IF's used today.  Also you must have the correct components for the frequency display.  If you want a frequency display, the best bet is to get a modern transceiver with this feature built-in.  
All of the monitor scopes can be used for looking at your transmitted RF and make measurements of linearity of your amplifier etc. and to look at received audio.
Generally I find that monitor scopes don't add much to operating convience.  Once you have played with a scope for awhile and know that your signals are ok, they just have limited use.  As with all Heathkits parts are hard to find.  If you need a CRT for a 40 year old scope it make take an extended search and a pocketfull of money.
By the way you can go http://bama.edebris.com/ and download manuals for all these scopes (you will have to download deja vu from LizardTech to peruse them (no that is not a made-up name).
Allen

Clark McDonald:
I've still got one of those lying around here somewhere, it is hard wired, so must be the 610.  

Count on replacing all the electrolytic caps in one if it hasn't already been done.  

Was able to use it on the Kenwood TS-940's IF output by constructing a single op-amp run from +/- 9V to scale the Kenwood's low signal level up to what the scope's input needed.  See the "other guy's" sig.  

There are plenty of other scope options around now, but there is something neat about those little heathkit monitoring scopes.  

Knowing that an oscilloscope kit made from "boxcar" WWII surplus component buys was where the first Heathkit that wasn't an airplane came from is part of that I guess.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index