Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-470 & computer & Serial GPS + ?  (Read 1263 times)
KB3OPR

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »

Yaesu FT-470 & Dell Ispiron 2650 & Serial GPS.  I know that both of these work well.  That is that my Dlorme GPS software works well on the laptop and I'm getting good performance for voice out of the Yaesu FT-470 dual band portable.  The question becomes is there a way to use this portable for packet given it's lack of a data port and or internal TNC.  I've read about sound card interfaces but the reviews of some of the interfaces are quite mixed.  

So that everyone does not have to look up the radio it is an HT with the only input and output being a miniature (1/8" 3.5 mm) mono (tip & sleeve only) earphone plug and a sub miniature (3/32" 2.5mm) mono (tip & sleeve only) microphone jack.  Push to talk is accomplished by switching the Microphone into the circuit.  In other words if you plug in a sub-miniature mono earphone into the microphone jack the radio goes into transmit.  When you unplug it it goes back into receive.  The PTT switch of the external microphone just makes and breaks the microphone circuit.  There is at least one interface that offers a compatible cord set but I'd sure like to talk to someone who has used this method with a similar radio that has only mono earphone and two wire microphone jacks.  

Any Help?
--
Tom Horne, KB3OPR a new 5 WPM unholy AE
AA3YV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:41:50 PM »

May be this will help:

http://wiretap.area.com/Gopher/Library/Untech/ft470.mod
(under "TNC wiring")

I don't have experience with sound card TNC but something like TNC-X works fine.  

I really like this radio. I used it to learn FM satellite since it's full duplex.
W3TUA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:24:10 AM »

I use AGWPacket Engine for APRS along with a West Mountain Radio NOMIC interface. It works FB. In fact, I've got another NOMIC on the way for my Echolink node.

W3TUA-Korey
Towanda, PA
Ex-KA5VCQ/YI9VCQ
KD6ANF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »

Hi Tom

My FT-470 was purchased in '91 when first licensed. In addition to being used as a portable, it was also used for 1200 bps packet and worked very well in this configuration.

An extra speaker mic was purchased for the custom molded plug and cable assembly. Yeah, it was a complete waste to just cut off the brand new microphone from the cable, however this really allowed a much nicer looking assembly when it was completed.

The now "free end" of the cable was terminated into a 9-pin D-sub connector with a large heavy duty metal enclosure. Inside the connector housing was the capacitor for audio and resistor for the PPT function. This end of the cable was plugged directly into a Kantronics KPC-3 TNC. The other end was plugged directly into the FT-470 just like it was a regular speaker-mic.

This set-up was used for a couple of years until an inexpensive two-meter radio could be dedicated for packet operation. However, it would be just as easy to fabricate a cable assembly using two separate plugs, a 2.5 mm for audio input and 3.5 mm for audio output, with a couple of coax cables of the desired length terminated into a 9-pin D-sub connector, or whichever type of connector is required for your specific equipment.

Hope this information is of use!

Best regards

george potter   KD6ANF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: