Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alliance Tenna Rotor question  (Read 3547 times)
KC9LJO

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2007, 04:05:20 AM »

I found an Alliance Tenna Rotor at a yardsale, and I am trying to bring it back to life. I also got three control boxes with it. The Rotor is a five wire version. And two of the controllers are four wire, and one is five wire. One of the controllers is an Alliance, but it is a four wire so I am guessing it is not the original matching controller. What I would like to find out is, which terminal is does what? And can a four wire controller run a five wire rotor?
Thanks in advance,
Dave (KC9LJO)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 06:20:09 AM »

There is no standard wiring for antenna rotors--the way to go is to contact the tech department of the rotor manufacturers (if they're still in business)  and see if you can get a schematic of the control boxes.

Even if you connect the wiring 1-2-3-4-5 on the rotor to 1-2-3-4-5 on a different brand control box you may cause damage to either.  And no, a four wire control box cannot run a five wire rotor in just about any case--not without modifying it.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 06:39:04 AM »

a good possibility  that most of the rotors of that age we meade by alliance  no matter what brand on them  
sears  MW   etc.

usually wire one to one  two to two.
not to hard to determin by  opening both boxes and hand draw diagram.

also if the motor doesnt turn,,   shotgun the   capacitor in the controller.
Its a motor start capacitor.  or you can wire two electrolytics  nose to nose  to get the same thing..
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »

First thing I'd do is find the brand and model number for each piece and hit the websearch engines looking for any information at all, mauals, owners and service, if available, schematics, etc.  

Second thing is to open up each piece and study what is in 'em, what goes to where.  

If still stumped, try to find the old guy in an area near you with the Mom an' Pop TV repair shop, often fountains of information with SAMS service schematics in the file cabinet.  

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 09:26:42 AM »

Incidentally, SAMS may just list service manuals on some or all of those, too, for purchase.  

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 11:13:57 AM »

Try contacting Norm at Norm's Rotor Service
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 02:36:16 PM »

I doubt the rotor motor is an Alliance, I have never seen one that had five wires. The U-83, U-98, and U-100 were all four wire with a "clicker" direction indicator - the metered rotors were also four wire. The HD-73's I have were six wire.

As an aside, Alliance 4 wire rotors all wired 1 to  1, 2 to 2, etc., BUT the four terminals on the motor were 1,2 on the top row, 3,4 on the bottom. Alliance wanted you to hook wire 1 to terminal 3 on both ends, wire 2 to terminal 1, wire 3 to terminal 2, and wire 4 to terminal 4 - where the wire with the tracer was wire 1. Sounds nuts - until you actually hook one up and see how the wires lay under the weather shield on the rotor. Then it makes sense.

So yes, I suspect you are right and the 5 wire box you have probably fits the rotor. But what sort of a box is it? There are several five wire rotors, and all I am familiar with wired 1 to 1, etc.. Perhaps Norm's website has an identifying picture that would help ID the rotor/box you have.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
KC9LJO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 06:46:21 PM »

The rotor case says "Alliance Tenna Rotor" "one RPM", and where it was manufactured. There are no other markings on it. It has five terminals. There are three control boxes. The one control box that is an Alliance is a Model T-10. It has four wires. I can not seem to find any info on the rotor. Hopefully this information will help I.D. the rotor. In the mean time I will take a look inside and see what I can figure out. Thanks to all for the advice.
Dave KC9LJO
W6VPS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 07:32:17 PM »

In my files I have an article from a long defunct electrnics magazine about repairing rotors. Including ones of the vintage you describe.
Contact me via email and I will send you a scanned PDF file of the article. It includes schematics.
Paul/W6VPS

psully0706 at yahoo dot com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: