Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4:1 current balun  (Read 437 times)
W6HB

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »

What do you consider the best 4:1 current balun available for use with a doublet and a transmatch?
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:10:55 PM »

One more question - where does one find a doublet with a 200+j0 ohm impedance?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
N7IOH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »

I don't know if there has ever been a real test to see who makes the best Balun.  But I can tell you that I would only consider buying a balun from DX Engineering.  I think they make one of the best and they will stand behind it.  They make just about anything you could want and they make the heavy duty stuff for governments and commercial use.  They are happy to answer your questions and they have loads of information on their web site.  Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.dxengineering.com/

Al, n7ioh
SSB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 01:35:52 AM »

I can't help but think that there are loads of hams that think any run of the mill balun can be connected to any load that might vary from 5 ohms to 5000 ohms with or without reactance and everything will magically work like they may want it to.

Hmmmmmmmmm!

Alex.....
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 02:38:48 AM »

I can truthfully report that I've had very good service from the "Radio Works - Model B4-2k" 4:1 Current Balun, I purchased in 1996, well made, Quite Affordable, and very dependable. I believe the newer version is called the B4-2KX, now.
KI4NX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 04:46:40 AM »

While no one can complain about a DX balun, why not roll your own? It's not that difficult: ferrite toroid, about 10 feet of #14 or #12 Thermeleze wire and a bit of tape and it's done. There are many designs available and with #14 or #12 wire, it will handle legal limit power.

Ken,
KZ4Y
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 05:36:16 AM »

A doublet with a 200+j0 ohm impedance from 160-10 would be great Smiley

DX Engineering builds a quality balun.  Here is a link that discusses choosing the correct balun.

http://www.dxengineering.com/TechArticles.asp?ID={3E5220F7-2D0F-45B5-85F7-3B654F804C4F}
KC5JK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 04:43:31 PM »

KI4NX has the true ham spirit.  I built a KW balun from an Amidon kit about 25 years ago, and it still serves well today.  I've heard another name as a source for toroids, Fair-rite, but don't know anything about them.
If you buy commercial, whatever you do, avoid any balun that has output leads -- as opposed to terminals -- coming out of a sealed body.  If anything ever happens to the length of one of those, you're sunk.  Hopefully, Palomar changed that design.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: