About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antenna  (Read 384 times)
VK4TJF

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2007, 03:32:07 AM »

iff you had to pick between a 3 element trap tribander or a 2 element monoband beam, what one would you go for?
VK2ACM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:03:53 AM »

That all would depend on what band's your going to work. The monobander wont compromise for other band's other than what it is resonant for...Clint VK2ACM
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:05:34 AM »

Weeelllll- The monobander tends to a contesters or serious DXers "weapon of choice." The tribander is more of a general purpose antenna. So the answer depends on what you want to do.

If I intended to have a single antenna for general hamming the tribander would be my choice. As high as I could get my wallet to stretch, of course.  

If I intended to try for the top of the DX honor roll, a set of dedicated towers with stacked monobanders would be just the ticket.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:38:22 AM »

Personally, if you have any interest in 12 and 17 meters, I would go for a Tennadyne Log periodic - five bands.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:05:43 AM »

This depends on your interests.  Most tr-banders are for 10,15, and 20 meters.  With sunspot activity at bottom, are you interested in 10 and 15 meters?
With a monobander, what band are you planning to operate?  I assume you are talking 20 meters.
15 Should start opening regularly in a few years, do you want to wait that long?

-Mike.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:36:09 AM »

The loss of bands with the monobander is far more noticeable than the comparative loss of performance with the tribander.  If you are only talking about having one directional antenna, unless you intend to only operate one band anyway, the tribander is the best choice.  

That is doubly true since "even a temporary solution that works will become permanent", and you likely won't change antennas for a few years.  In that case the monobander would leave you missing the great propagation to come on 15m and 10m in just a few years.  Actually, there is great propagation there now, just for less of the day than near the solar peak.
Best rx & 73 de kt8k - Tim
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:43:09 AM »

3 el tribander; more bangs for the buck
K1BXI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:54:39 AM »

Have you considered the "StepperIR"? Looks like the best of both worlds. A mono bander on any band within its range.
John.......K1BXI
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 12:39:23 PM »

I have had many different ones over the years, and my best is a 3 element Steppir. I currently have that one up on the roof tower.  I also have a MA5B up and use it for a spotting antenna.  It is about 4 sunits down from the steppir.  I say spemd the money, and get a 3 ele steppir for 6 - 20 m and put it up at least 30 feet high, and higher is better,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: