About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRSCE  (Read 956 times)
KI4PCB

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:27:20 PM »

I have installed APRS CE on my Verizon 6700 but cannot get it to connect to an APRS server if I have the GPS  enabled.

This kind of defeats the purpose.  Am I doing something wrong?

Bill Rockwell
KI4PCB
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:10:20 AM »

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the software, but it would not surprise me if it were attempting to send it's output as AFSK audio out the speaker rather than attempting to send the string as a packet over the phones cell service connection.

I would suspect that the authors initially intended for it to be used by Win-CE PDA users to act as an interface between a gps device (including possibly a cf gps receiver) and a radio. Basically turning the pda into a TNC, and possibly including the ability to decode aprs messages (including location information, or even just text) for display on the screen. I don't know if they even considered the PDA being a cell phone with an IP network connection of it's own to send data across.

There are a couple of possible solutions. If you have access to the source code, and are willing to write some software, you could cobble together a solution using the code to convert the NEMA string to a mic message, then use some of the i-gate code that is out there to send the data across the phone's data connection to the servers.

Another solution would be to have some software periodically collect your cell phone's location information off the internet through Verizon's service, and convert that to the appropriate strings to send as a packet to the aprs server. This could be on almost any PC on the internet that you give the appropriate information on how to get the information from Verizon to.

There are instructions available for manually entering location information into the APRS system, and that could be used to write an application for the phone that completely eliminates the need to do mic conversions. It will make the packets involved larger, and will involve more traffic as I think that the process uses a TCP service rather than a UDP service which I think may be how APRS i-gates are transfering messages.

You may also have to build in some sort of conversion process to send aprs messages to your phone, if that is where you want to receive them. I suppose you could select some radius around where you are located, and every so many minutes have a server poll the APRS servers for new messages in that region, and send you the appropriate messages. Not sure if that would be easy or hard to do.

Mostly this is just some ideas. The developers for aprs-ce may have better news for you regarding your configuration.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »

Just a thought - Be sure you have not overlooked enabling the TNC on the TNC tab next to the GPS tab. Such a simply thing but easily overlooked on initial setup.

Other than that, if you can give more detail on config, we might be able to give more answers without guessing.

I run APRS/CE v1.02 and it works great.

Gene KI6LO
KI4PCB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 05:50:53 AM »

I went back in and checked the box on the TNC tab and it had no affect.   Not really sure what enabling the TNC will do for me though as I am not using a radio.  I am using a PDA that is connected directly to the internet.  You can go to http://www.flcaptainbill.com to see pictures of the configuration screens.

I am using a bluetooth GPS.  If I have the GPS disabled I can connect to the APRS network just fine.  The screen fills up with icons and the status bar shows data coming in like crazy.  As soon as I enable the GPS in the APRS setup all network traffic stops.

If I disable the GPS data starts flowing again and it will send my position. ( http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?ki4pcb-1 )

Bill KI4PCB
N2ZXE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »

Weird, it worked on my iPaq using the sync cable, I could try on my WiFi though.  

Being that this is a CDMA phone, do you have to connect before you can use the PDSN connection?

Just a thought...

What's not working?
OD5NA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:57:12 AM »

I have an O2 PDA and would like to connect it to my radio
is there any software to connect my PDA directly to the radio without using a TNC as the AGW soundcard driver but for PDA ??

Cause it's costly to use gprs to connect to a APRS server.

Thanks for any replies.

OD5NA  Nabil
KA3ZMN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »

I have pretty much exactly the same setup, and am having the exact same problem.  Pocket PC with bluetooth gps.  Enable GPS, I lose access to the APRS server via the Internet.  Disable GPS, and the APRS server allows me to connect.

I haven't found any additional info.  Would the APRS server validation number (like we need for UIView) be required here somehow?  I don't know how the GPS being enabled would not allow a connection to the APRS server...

...unless, somehow, when APRS-CE sees the GPS (over comm port number whatever), it wants all communication to go over that comm port, including Internet... which of course doesn't make sense.

Anyway, has anyone found a solution?

Thanks!

Steve
KA3ZMN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: