Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Way GPS Units  (Read 763 times)
K2GW

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:53:09 AM »

I'm trying to compile a list of all GPS units that easily provide two way data communication so as to show the location of other APRS equiped vehicles directly on their internal map display.  So far I know of the

AvMap G5
Garmin GPS III+
Garmin GPS V

Any others for this list?  Please don't add units that just send data out to report your location; that's pretty much a given for most units.

Thanks & 73

Gary, K2GW
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »

Are you sure that the Garmin units can plot GPS positions received in NMEA format from the serial port onto the map display? I know the two-way communications allows the uploading of new maps and way-points (in proprietary Garmin format) but was not aware that it could plot positions received via the serial port.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »

My old, reliable Garmin Vista has a serial port mode called "NMEA w/Waypoint support" that sorta plots received APRS data from my D-700 on the map. However, it truncates the first letter of the callsign, and it only displays nearby waypoints at an high zoom level. This limits it's usefulness, but I can search for waypoints just like any other.
K2GW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 07:35:20 AM »

>Are you sure that the Garmin units can plot GPS positions received in NMEA format from the serial port onto the map display?

Those two specific units do so. I have Garmin III which doesn't and a Garmin III+ which does when connected to my Kenwood TH-7 HT.  The APRS positions show up as waypoints truncated to the first six characters of the callsign.

It is a little funky as the map display blanks momentarily as a "waypoint" for a mobile station is updated with new coordinates and moves.

The Garmin V is effectively a Garmin III+ with a finer resolution display and more memory.  A review of it here on eHam by a ham says it does show callsigns similarly for him.

I'm still looking for other models that do the same.  Anyone know of any?

Gary, K2GW
KE7DGM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »

Another model that will plot the position of the received waypoint is the Garmin GPSmap 76C.  This model will plot the waypoint name with a 9 digit callsign.  Note there is a bug in firmware versions higher than 4.0.  With the newer firmware, when a subsequent position report is received from a station that was already plotted, the GPS will plot a second waypoint with a nonsense character added to the waypoint name.  The desired behavior is to adjust the exsting waypoint to the new location.

The Garmin GPSmap 60C, 60CS, 76C and 76CS all share the same electronics and firmware, just different form factor, so all should work the same for your purposes.

I have heard rumors that the newer models the GPSmap 76CSX, also suffer from the waypoint plotting bug.

By the way,  I also have a Garmin III+  and can confirm that it plots the received waypoint with 6 digit name as you have already described.

Bob Nolan
AJ4GN  (formerly KE7DGM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: